Cura slicing not as shown on screen

Posted · Cura slicing not as shown on screen

Hi,

I'm trying to create a couple of cup-like objects. I've created them in blender and imported them into Cura (3.5.1). On the solid view it looks fine 1506630092_Capture1.thumb.PNG.9576cf094c4403f34ad3346e86ac659f.PNG

but in the sliced view, I'm just getting a thin cylinder.

1297024521_Capture2.thumb.PNG.7c38c9b928436005fae04483a572e1be.PNG

I've tried it several different ways and the only one that was successful was when I 'hacked' a ready-made doughnut shape in blender. All the others look like the same thin cylinder. In Blender, I can't find any 'holes' and it was built so that I made sure there weren't any.

I've attached the 3mf file, if you need to take a look at it.

test8.3mf

Thanks,

Connal

Capture 1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Hi and welcome!

your STL file is probably not watertight, you can check it in Cura with the x-ray view and check if there are any red areas. (x-ray view is in the same menu as solid and layer view)

Blender is additionally not the best choice for such models, you will get better results with Tinkercad or Fusion 360 (both are free).

I know that Blender can create a 'Surface of Revolution' (proper term) or 'revolve' in Maya and 'Lathe" In 3DS MAX. This would be the perfect object for such a function in any program.

I have seen too many people, no matter what software, try to do this with booleans or other destructive methods.

But, a lathe would be best.

Now, with THAT being said (to let you know a bit of modeling experience advice) I took a look at your file. Method of process is as follows:

1. Looked at your 3MF file. Got the same results, but see no x-ray errors.
    2. Exported the file to an STL to run through 3DS MAX's 'STL Checker'. No errors in that file.
    3. Change the printer from yours (Prusa) to my native UM3E and it sliced ok
    4. Changing printers without relying on export and reload makes sure I am using your original file, only the printer definition changes

Slice in my native printer setup.

test8.thumb.jpg.b8982f9dd59e0cf805366e3008f74706.jpg

So, I would gather that something in the Prusa settings is not reading the file properly. I know nothing about the Prusa series so I am useless here, but hope that I have narrowed this down a bit for you to find a solution.

thanks to both for the really useful information. I'd rather NOT change drawing packages, as it's taken me so long to get my head round Blender and I sometimes use it for other things.

I'll have a go at creating using the lathe technique. I have done something similar on Blender (using Bezier curves), so I will try that and let you know how I get on.

I'll also have another look at the printer settings and see if there is anything obvious.

Thanks again,

Connal

it didn't work... I used the spin option on Blender (which is far easier, BTW!) and it came out exactly the same on Cura.

However, I changed the printer from Prusa Mk2 to simply Prusa and it worked! I have no idea what the difference is between the two but it's printing at the moment, so time will tell but so far, so good.

Thanks,

Connal

I agree that changing the printer was going to solve the problem.

It may be something to do with the printer definition....I would not know. But, I am hoping that the print comes out as expected.

Remember though that the modeling suggestion was to avoid destructive modeling techniques. That 'surface of revolution' is a very powerful tool.

I just wish that software designers would stop making new names for the same thing.....really a pain to keep up with.