Tabs instead of infinite scroll

3DStyle

Posted (edited) · Tabs instead of infinite scroll

I was thinking about a future update of changing the way we navigate between settings of the slicing features. 

Instead of an infinite scrolling, I think it will be a better approach to switch to tabs, which will be more pleasant

to the eye and will make it easier to navigate between each segment.

Almost 99% of the times I find my self scroll up and down to find the right category I'm aiming for, I think

that if I had the option of tabs view I was able to find what I'm looking for way faster. 

It will also allow to add more settings to a specific list and still not look too messy. Right now I'm trying to remove

as much settings as I can to save some space because it makes my list so long and confusing. 

18-12-2018 11-07-10.png

Edited by 3DStyle
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited) · Tabs instead of infinite scroll

I hope something like this can be included in a future release.

In version 4.0.0 it's still 'endless scrolling' when we try to find a setting.

The image you posted above here doesn't really fully address the problem though.

Even if there are tabs, it will still be vertical a list of settings, where every setting (visually) looks the same.

A good solution is to put settings into a fixed, predicable location on the screen (so without scrollbar)

Simplify3D does this for example. When you think about a setting, and want to go find it, you immediately have an idea of where (as in Where somewhere on the screen) that setting is located. You then go to the tab and immediately your eyes are fixed on the good location.

Edited by Sammie

Posted · Tabs instead of infinite scroll
    1 hour ago, Sammie said:

Simplify3D does this for example. When you think about a setting, and want to go find it, you immediately have an idea of where (as in Where somewhere on the screen) that setting is located. You then go to the tab and immediately your eyes are fixed on the good location.

meh - that's so... "old-school", Cura developers like the young and fancy stuff! 🙂

More serious: The visibility of every single setting is configurable with Cura (and influenced by the printer definition). This is simply incompatible with user interfaces of the "fixed" kind.

Posted · Tabs instead of infinite scroll

Well it's just an example, I'm sure there are different possible approaches.

I do change the visibility of the settings but the problem for me is that I need a lot of the settings to be activated, so the list becomes long due to that.