aleggert52

How do I put jpg texture on my 3d model

Posted · How do I put jpg texture on my 3d model

Hello Everybody,

I have a Wanhao i3 Plus printer that I use to manufacture my enclosures for my product which is a Photocell Burglar Alarm System for boats. I design the models in Pro/E and convert them to STL files then Use Cura to create the G code. I would like to add texture to the 3d print surfaces to enhance the enclosure but am uncertain as how to go about it and the software I might need to do the task. I downloaded some JPG  textures but do not know the procedure to apply the text. If anyone can advise me I will be grateful.

aleggert52 

Probably you would have to do that in Pro/E itself I guess, before exporting to STL?

But before you spend time doing all this modeling, you might want to try printing the texture on itself first. Load the JPG directly in Cura, set its height (I don't know how, never tried it, but it should be possible), and print that as a flat plate with relief. Chances are that due to the layer lines, and the width of the nozzle, the texture will get damaged to such a degree that the result is actually worse than without texture. Or that it causes other issues with retraction, or with stringing. It all depends on the texture itself, and the capabilities of the printer.

Alternate solutions might be a few simple decorative ribs or a nice logo, or so.

The only texture Cura is capable of is the 'Fuzzy Skin', and that only on vertical walls, not on top/bottoms. I do like this feature a lot, it can hide the layer lines, or give more grip to the surface. It can even filter out the 'ringing' if you set the values very low.

• Like 1