Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
cgrejsen

Height "discrepancy" or incorrect settings

As a CAD exercise I created an exact copy of my wedding ring (22.9mm x 22.9mm x 6mm) and exported the STL file to Cura.

Cura reports the correct size, and slices without any errors or warnings, however printing does not yield the expected result. After three attempts with CAD changes focused on outer smoothness only, and printing at 0.1mm resolution I have three different rings of varying heights, 4mm, 4.2mm and 4.8mm. Diameter is consistent, so I assume it has something to do with the dizzying number of settings affecting layers. I am fighting the urge to just increase the height in small increments, and would really like to understand which settings affect this.  Any insight appreciated.

Edited by cgrejsen

The walls at the bottom and the top are too thin for the printer (<0.4) and therefore some layers are missing. You can try to enable the setting "Print thin walls" in Cura (use the search field to find the setting) or maybe better design the ring to have at least 0.41mm walls.

• Thanks 1

Hi Smithy,

I tried the thin walls option, but did not notice a difference. To remove the thin edges, I scaled the height from 6 mm to 8mm, 9mm and 10 mm, removing the tops and bottoms, leaving just 6 mm in height with edges around 1 mm. Each print reached 5.5mm.

I noticed some asymmetry and it appears some of the lower layers are lost, so I printed using a raft, and the entire ring printed in full height, and with symmetry.  

-Christian