Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
baasb

Solid infill on top when there it shouldn't

Hey Daid,

I've started with printing the two story spec house (agaaaain) but now with the new version of Cura. So as you see, the model should be open on the top to see the insides. The .stl model is open on the top, but why does Cura fill in the top??

I've only selected 'extensive stitching' and tried to deselect 'solid infill on top' but this doesn't make a difference.

What to do?

Normal view, no infill on top

Sliced, everything oke, just before the

Sliced, suddenly it fills in the top. Why?

Strange! I would just do a hack - I would use the pause at height feature to pause 2 layers before the top layer. And then I would just cut the power to my UM when it got to the pause.

I haven't tested pause-at-height with the latest cura - beware that many of these plugins expect G0 move codes but the new cura uses G1 move codes also and so many of these plugins need to be edited slightly but most of them haven't. Even safer would be to just edit your gcode and remove the last layer completely. gcode is easy to edit because each layer is labelled with a comment in the gcode.

The problem is that it's not the last layer. After the solid infill it has to print two more small columns on the corners (to hold the second floor of the house). So it just starts to fill in after the walls are finished.

this is the house: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26244

I use 0.7 scale, 0,08 layer, 0.8 walls, 0.48 bottom/top

Daid?

I see the problem. SteamEngine slices each layer with no regard to the fact that there is no top to this "box" of a house. When it gets above the windows the house is like a cup with thin walls. It gets confused.

I tried with Cura 13.03 and it sliced fine. I suggest you use that instead.