devleon

Cura leaves gaps in wall cylinders

Posted · Cura leaves gaps in wall cylinders

I'm slicing a model for a case I designed in Fusion 360. Exported as STL at the high setting.
The model looks fine in the solid view, but when I slice (0.4mm layer height and line width), cura leaves these weird gaps in the circles everywhere. 
The cylinders have a ID of 4mm and a OD of 7mm. Why is this happening? How to fix?

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-26 at 19.11.20 (1).jpeg

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Check if you have Coasting enabled in Cura - if so turn it off.

• Thanks 1

But you can try coasting, I just said turn it off to be sure it is coasting which causes the gap in layer view. Coasting stops extrusion right before the layer is finished and the rest is printed with the remaining pressure in the nozzle. So it basically a good feature, but it is not working for all objects, so you have to give it a try if you want.

In case this didn't got solved - I noticed something weird: You say you've set layer height + width to 0,4. I think this isn't going to work well (assuming you're printing with a 0,4mm nozzle). The layer height should be max. 50-75% of the nozzle diameter.

Posted (edited) · Cura leaves gaps in wall cylinders
12 minutes ago, ungutknut said:

In case this didn't got solved - I noticed something weird: You say you've set layer height + width to 0,4. I think this isn't going to work well (assuming you're printing with a 0,4mm nozzle). The layer height should be max. 50-75% of the nozzle diameter.

Oops, my fault. I meant 0.2mm layer height and 0.4mm layer width. And while I already printed this correctly, I reprinted it with slic3r, which did a much better job of filling the thin walls correctly in the other parts of the model. I had a wall that was 1.2mm thick, and cura decided to print 1 perimeter and then use tiny zig-zag infill which resulted in 4 more hours to print and a crazy shaking printer (see second picture). Slic3r simply printed 3 lines as expected.

Edited by devleon

Ok, good to know. Funny fact: I'm also currently trying to switch from cura to slic3r due to a different issue (cura leaving gaps in shell).