Best settings for the Best Quality Print

Posted · Best settings for the Best Quality Print

Hi everyone, 

I have been experimenting with cura settings to try and get the best quality print. But I never really got there. I tried changing speed, layer height, temperatures, flow rate, etc. I would like to see what you guys have your settings on to get the best print. Preferable to be able to see as little lines in the print. If you do can you please reply and send all the details through such as speed, layer height, temperatures, flow rate, etc.

Cheers everyone

7 hours ago, Steverc1572 said:

This all depends on your printer and  nozzle size.

...and material, and even the type of model and what you define as "best quality". "Best quality" can mean best looking surface, or it can mean best achievable strength, or something else entirely. And sometimes improving one thing can negatively influence the other.

If there were one profile that would give you "best quality" for all printers, configurations, materials and for all different models, Cura would surely ship with that profile (and there would be no reason for most of the 300+ settings that you can use to tweak your print).

for basic bargain bin PLA on my CR-10s, I get my quality through the roof by dialing down my jerk settings to 20-5mm/s, printing under 25mm/s at 200c. if you have supports, use interfaces. 3 walls, 100% flow rate, and .1mm layer height. this is not how to learn, though. it's just copying some numbers and not knowing why they work.

you want the lowest temperature that gives you good adhesion without creating friction and knocking over prints. it's a bit tough on extruder motors, but prevents blobbing, stringing, boogering, and elephand's foot, as well as giving you better bridging, easier to remove supports, and nice overhangs.

Low jerk prevents ghosting and shaking, and the base jerk is at 500mm/s/s, which basically disables it until your print head is moving a quarter of a meter per second. basically cut the jerk number in half, and that's the fastest speed at which it will attempt to make a hairpin turn.

outer layer options. time saver settings are here. print at normal speeds on everything but the outermost layer. if it's not obvious, you don't need the inside to be pretty. also gyroid infill is really fast unless you have a lot of thin gaps in your model.

if you have everything else dialed in, layer height is almost a non-issue, because your layers will be nearly invisible, and your detail is limited by your nozzle.I would not suggest printing at the same layer height as your nozzle is wide. it seems to do wonky stuff with adhesion and part strength unless you overextrude, at which point you might as well just use a larger nozzle.

• Thanks 1

Yeah i its not a great way of learning. I have been exploring my self trying different settings. I have the cr-10 s5. I also look through all the additional boxes you can activate on cura like jerking in the speed area. I am new at printing. What does jerking mean in the printer? What does it do?

Posted (edited) · Best settings for the Best Quality Print

"jerk" is an integral setting of gcode that slows down the print head before a sharp corner. without it, your machine would shake itself to death, or at least wobble and wiggle a lot more, affecting print quality. I believe it's a bit soft, and will slow less for a 90 degree turn than a 180, but don't quote me on that. the issue is, most people don't print at 100-500mm/s, meaning the jerk setting at its basic setting of 500, 5000 or something does almost nothing. turn it to 10 then print a test XYZ cube, and you'll probably hear it working its magic.

Edited by nubnubbud

I've been using my Rostock for years, but not have a dozen Ultimakers at my disposal and came here to see what everyone was using for their base settings and figured I'd start tuning my personal setting from there.

My question is, what kind of retraction setting are you using on the 2+, 3+, and S5?

Thanks for the help and info!