Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Cura 4 Beta - Requests and complaints.


changedsoul
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited) · Cura 4 Beta - Requests and complaints.

First I would like to start of by saying thank you to who ever and all who updated the UI in cura. Currently the beta is a dream to work with as far as manipulating the model and rotating the workspace. 3.x was so sluggish and such a horrible performer trying to zoom in and rotate the workspace, especially when you have sliced data on the screen. So excellent work to who ever fixed that HUGE problem.

 

Now the suggestion?

I noticed the parameters section is not in a drop down menu of sorts. It would be nice to be able to expand that further down the page if possible, and have it remember the settings. Having a small window with a long list of scrolling sort of sucks.

Also, when monitoring, the layer number slider would seem better positioned to the left of the print parameters and not to the far right of the screen.

Also the new file menus seem to be of a particular font and size where they all seem to run together and its a bit hard to easily see their separation.

Also, the ability to zoom into the workspace where the current mouse position is, similar to other cad software.

 

 

And the complaint!

The Axis identifiers that appear when you click a model "should" mimic the printer coordinates. Meaning as it is now, the Y-Axis identifier is backwards. The arrow points in the negative direction and when you move in the Y-axis, the position relative to the table zero, is positive. To clarify, when the model moves to the front or near side of the table, the Y-Axis position should be displayed negative of zero (currently it displays positive), and when you move the model to the rear or far end of the table, the Y-Axis should display positive from zero (currently it displays negative).

This has been going on since the dawn of time it seem, why cant this be corrected? Its not correct...yes it functions and we can print, but its not correct. (My OCD kicking in).

 

 

Thats all. Again. Awesome job on improving that UI performance.

Edited by changedsoul
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura 4 Beta - Requests and complaints.

    For your last suggestion, I think there is an option for that in the preferences, not enabled by default.

    For your complaint, I'm not sure what you mean by the arrow in the negative direction. Mine points in the positive. Do you have any special config?

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted (edited) · Cura 4 Beta - Requests and complaints.

    I wish I knew. Its possible I guess I have something jacked up. Don't know how I could though. I setup my print as a custom printer and set my nozzle and bed size and that is it.

    Check out the pic. The table has the Axis orientation correct, with Y+ going front to back, but if you look at the model, the Y-Axis has the plus going backwards.

    Even when you move the object, the location in the Y-Axis from origin is also backwards.

    When I move it towards the front of the table (closer to you), its reading a positive shift when is should be a negative.

    I brought this up a long time ago too. If its a setting I have and can change that would be fantastic.

    Coordinates.JPG

    Edited by changedsoul
  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura 4 Beta - Requests and complaints.

    I think the arrow is that way because when you move things around the bed it does it from the centre as opposed to your printer origin. The number in the box when you move are 0,0,0 by default in the centre when the model is loaded, then if you look at that whilst you move it is right. Agree that it is confusing as the x-axis and z-axis are different.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura 4 Beta - Requests and complaints.
    2 hours ago, cp2004 said:

    I think the arrow is that way because when you move things around the bed it does it from the centre as opposed to your printer origin. The number in the box when you move are 0,0,0 by default in the centre when the model is loaded, then if you look at that whilst you move it is right. Agree that it is confusing as the x-axis and z-axis are different.

    I have to say I strongly disagree. It doesn't matter where your printer origin is or the center of the bed is. Y+ should be UP and Y- should be down. Just like a Mill, just like a graph. Thats the standard.

    Cura has the X and the Z correct. X+ to the right, Z+ towards the top. Y+ "should" be UP (towards the back of the table) Just like a standard XY graph, with X axis to you right, and Y axis going up.

     

    Even if I move my printer bed origin to the center of the table, the Y-axis is still backwards. Im telling you, the coders have screwed something up. I just dont know why nobody else seems to see the problem. Maybe they know about it, but its so heavily depended on how it is that it would be a major haul to change it? I don't know. Either way, its wrong.

     

    Y+ should be up. To say otherwise, we might as well just make X+ to the left, and Z+ towards the table.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura 4 Beta - Requests and complaints.
    23 hours ago, cp2004 said:

    For your last suggestion, I think there is an option for that in the preferences, not enabled by default.

    For your complaint, I'm not sure what you mean by the arrow in the negative direction. Mine points in the positive. Do you have any special config?

    Thanks for spotting that mouse zoom option. Love it.

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura 4 Beta - Requests and complaints.
    22 hours ago, changedsoul said:

    I have to say I strongly disagree. It doesn't matter where your printer origin is or the center of the bed is. Y+ should be UP and Y- should be down. Just like a Mill, just like a graph. Thats the standard.

    Cura has the X and the Z correct. X+ to the right, Z+ towards the top. Y+ "should" be UP (towards the back of the table) Just like a standard XY graph, with X axis to you right, and Y axis going up.

     

    Even if I move my printer bed origin to the center of the table, the Y-axis is still backwards. Im telling you, the coders have screwed something up. I just dont know why nobody else seems to see the problem. Maybe they know about it, but its so heavily depended on how it is that it would be a major haul to change it? I don't know. Either way, its wrong.

     

    Y+ should be up. To say otherwise, we might as well just make X+ to the left, and Z+ towards the table.

    8

    What standard? Left handed coordinate systems? Right handed coordinate systems? There is no one standard that defines this 😉

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · Cura 4 Beta - Requests and complaints.
    21 hours ago, nallath said:

    What standard? Left handed coordinate systems? Right handed coordinate systems? There is no one standard that defines this 😉

    That is a good point, which one are they using really? The table uses right, and the model uses left, so which one is it? By standard, I mean the one taught in every textbook for Cartesian coordinate, what every ( as far I a know) Horizontal mill uses as its coordinate system.

    And for the most glaring obvious reason to fix it, because you mentioned it

    Quote

    Left handed coordinate systems? Right handed coordinate systems?

    The right handed coordinate system has the answer "right" in it....its the "right" one, as apposed to the left, which is the "wrong" one 😁

  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    • Our picks

      • New here? Get ahead with a free onboarding course
        Hi,
         
        Often getting started is the most difficult part of any process. A good start sets you up for success and saves you time and energy that could be spent elsewhere. That is why we have a onboarding course ready for
        Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, Ultimaker S5, Ultimaker S3 Ultimaker 2+ Connect.   
        They're ready for you on the Ultimaker Academy platform. All you need to do to gain access is to register your product to gain free access. 
        Ready? Register your product here in just 60 seconds.
          • Like
        • 11 replies
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...