aag

How to replace the S5 printhead

Posted · How to replace the S5 printhead

I need to replace the printhead of my S5. I can easily remove the fan bracket. However, I have trouble removing the upper part of the housing. The wire connector needs to be removed, but it is attached to the back plate that contains some electronics, and I haven't found an easy way to remove it. Can somebody instruct me on how to proceed?

Press on the clip with a screwdriver to get it to release. It's hard to see it on video from inside the printer.

Here's a close up with the parts removed for clarity. It's a UM3 board in video, but the only difference is that it's on the back of the UMS5 board, but the front of the UM3 board. Just use your screwdriver to apply pressure at the top there to get it to release. 

Thank you Erin, highly appreciated. However, I had no problem detaching the cable. The problem is the next step. Something is preventing the plastic cover of the printhead from being lifted. I think that the reason is that the circuit board is attached to the Y rod (you can see the hole also in your video). Does this mean that I need to remove all the rods from the frame in order to remove the printhead? (which begets the question of how to do that...) Thanks!

Posted (edited) · How to replace the S5 printhead

The rods are press fit into the black blocks--tilt the black blocks and you can slide the rods out of the printhead. 🙂 I've got another video for that:

Edited by fbrc8-erin
  • Thanks 1