Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
mizu42

Cura creates wholes on 123D input

Hi,

I have a problem with designs made with 123D.

When I build a model in 123D (off-line PC version) from 2 simple object, like cube + cylinder and both objects are intersecting each other, then Cura does not fill the intersecting space with the mesch. It simply leaves this space empty. Causing very weak connections between the two objects.

A simple STL sample can be found here:

http://lausbua.de/temp/123D-test.stl

I did not find any hints w/ the search, so I hope I am not annoying you with an already answered question...

Any hints are welcome.

Thanx!

Mike

Cura is actually doing the right thing - it is the model that is wrong. It should't have separate objects that intersect each other. SInce the STL format is pretty simple, it really can't tell whether you intended there to be an internal void, when it finds a wall inside of another object. You need to union the objects together in your modeling software, to create a single object, or alternatively the the 'fix horrible' settings in Cura's Expert Settings, to have it ignore the internal holes.