Settings that go orange

DivideByZero

Posted · Settings that go orange

Hi,

Looking at upping my "maximum retraction count" to help test my stringing issues.

Default was 90, max is 99 before Cura gets angry and goes orange. What happens when I exceed this? Does it ignore numbers over 100, or does it do it anyway and just warn me in Orange that I am doing something crazy?

Is Maximum Value Warning, warning you that you have gone past the maximum value - or does it just warn once you exceed it?

"retraction_count_max":
  {
  "label": "Maximum Retraction Count",
  "description": "This setting limits the number of retractions occurring within the minimum extrusion distance window. Further retractions within this window will be ignored. This avoids retracting repeatedly on the same piece of filament, as that can flatten the filament and cause grinding issues.",
  "default_value": 90,
  "minimum_value": "0",
  "maximum_value_warning": "100",
  "type": "int",
  "enabled": "retraction_enable",
  "settable_per_mesh": false,
  "settable_per_extruder": true

},

Thanks /0

I think it only warns you. I've set this to 9999, and didn't observe any slicing problem. But of cause, setting retraction count so high will risking chewing your filament if the window is very small.

• Like 1

I know it lets you set it higher... but did it actually do over 100, that's the question?

Thanks for the warning about wearing out your filament, but I was aware already. Just need to test some things.

Cheers

Right... 

Then, CuraEngine itself doesn't have a hard limit in the code, so it will take whatever the Cura GUI provided. Setting it to 9999 then the upper limit is 9999. This is from reading the code.

And for a practical example, The "bird in the cage" as a lot of small features need retractions.

In the first picture,  max is set to 99 and the second with 9999, and no other change. 

Notice the dark blue lines indicating none-retraction travel since retraction count exceeded the limit, while the second doesn't.

2019-03-06_09h40_35.thumb.png.390191246169dc4958ccd19cdb94a5da.png2019-03-06_09h40_47.thumb.png.93283b4108068ce35dc117cacd97b8bd.png

• Thanks 1