Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Nozzle height

mastory

Posted · Nozzle height

So far in just less than 2 weeks of printing, I have only found only generalizations regarding how high the print nozzle should be when the Z axis is zeroed. This hasn't stopped me from making prints, but it has left some doubt as to what is optimal. I have been able to effectively level the bed and make prints with the height approx. .003-.008" (.08-.20mm). I have done this by using copy paper as a feeler gage either single or doubled over and adjusting the leveling screws or the switch to get an even drag resistance. I used my dial calipers to measure the paper. I think real feeler gages are in order. Have them in the garage, but not knowing what might be the ideal setting, it makes little difference.

I suppose it makes a difference what your bottom skin settings are, and which slicer is being used. Relative to that, I am asking how you set your nozzle clearance, what distance you set it to, and which slicer you're using.

I would hope that a series of rule of thumb standards could be established to take the guesswork out of the process.

Matt

Posted · Nozzle height

I use a feeler guage and adjust between 0.0 to 0.3mm when printing with High Quality style in Netfabb which is a 0.12mm layer height and 0.06mm half layer height for outer contours. I find if a print just doesn't start a couple of times in a row I adjust it down a small amount.

Archived