Cura Plugin: Thingiverse

ctbeke

Posted · Cura Plugin: Thingiverse

Hi all,

I've published a new plugin in the Marketplace, available for Cura 4.0 (Beta).

It allows you to search and import STL files from Thingiverse without having to go do the actual website.

Functionality is limited now, but eager to hear feedback on what to add next.

Note that this plugin was build in my spare time, it is not affiliated or sponsored by Ultimaker or Thingiverse.

image.thumb.png.747cd05efaa8910af5b7b0e106d95b9c.pngimage.thumb.png.d85613f3c0c994d0f081e19821a61a5e.png

Chris

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

Plugin is nice browser thingiverse repository 

Please allow to login from plugin to thingiverse account and browse my:

- collections

- things to do

and import STL files from this groups to CURA

Hi,

I'm planning on adding some simple features first (like pagination, better search, featured collections). Not sure if Thingiverse sign-in will be added by me at some point (or if it's even possible/allowed given that sign-in goes through their servers). Anyone can make a PR on https://github.com/ChrisTerBeke/ThingiBrowser however to add functionality.

• 1 month later...

Great work on this! I love being able to pull the files without having to navigate over to thingiverse. Exactly what we needed. The onyl question I would ask is could you add the ability to pull the dates of upload (for checking revisions/latest)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have just submitted v1.1.0 to Ultimaker for review, it should be available in the Marketplace soon. It fixes some reported crashes and improves the search feature. Details release notes are available on https://github.com/ChrisTerBeke/ThingiBrowser/releases/tag/v1.1.0, as well as a .curapackage that you can drag into Cura if you don't want to wait for Marketplace approval.

Next up on my TODO list are showing the file upload dates and a home page with featured items.

I have updated the plugin numerous times since this thread, notable features are:

* Improved search

* Pagination

* Improved error handling (e.g. when the ThingiVerse API is down)

I have just submitted a release (1.3.0, hopefully approved soon) that adds buttons for accessing popular, features, and newest things:

image.thumb.png.a7534e3ef4e7b154859d7339745f0d3d.png

Let me know what you want added next!

Just out of curiousity, will it eventually include (or be separate from this plugin by venue) other model sources such as Youmagine, MyMiniFactory and others?

Other than that, this is one of those ideas that is sooooo simple that nobody thought of it before. 😂 Way cool implementation and kudos! 😃

2 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Just out of curiousity, will it eventually include (or be separate from this plugin by venue) other model sources such as Youmagine, MyMiniFactory and others?

Interesting idea. Their APIs are probably very different, so I'll either have to find common denominators and generalize the API responses to an internal model, or create separate plugins (but that adds maintenance burden, especially on the UI part). If I were to add one extra source, which one would you like to see first?

Posted (edited) · Cura Plugin: Thingiverse
    4 hours ago, ctbeke said:

If I were to add one extra source, which one would you like to see first?

I really was just asking a far reaching question. I was thinking of the downloaders since I make 99% of my stuff. Yes, I will download some things for modification, but not enough to request something like this.

So, I would guess the one that is easiest to implement. 😊

Edited by kmanstudios

Just wanted to thank you for your efforts and nice plugin 👍

Thank you for this very useful plugin. Since the thingiverse website update, the plugin makes cura 4.4 and 4.5 crash.