Dan_Noviun

Do these areas need support?

Posted · Do these areas need support?

We're preparing a print and in Cura these windows (and other similar windows around the model) require support material? Is this normal? I know there is essentially an overhang on the lintels but I'm just not sure it needs it?

Any suggestions welcome!

Capture.thumb.JPG.29bf26f3765379fd7e1b1a7d0758b3fa.JPG

Posted (edited) · Do these areas need support?

Typically bridges (aka horizontal overhangs between two edges) up to a length of about 7-8mm are fine without support on an Ultimaker printer. If they are longer, special bridging settings could be applied or you (more easily) print it with support.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

2 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

Typically bridges (aka horizontal overhangs between two edges) up to a length of about 7-8mm are fine without support on an Ultimaker printer. If they are longer, special bridging settings could be applied or you (more easily) print it with support.

When you say 'bridging' supports, what do you mean by that and where can I find a setting for it?

Special bridging settings can be found in the "Experimental" section of the detailed Cura settings.

Without support they will tend to sag a bit for the first couple of layers but it will not adversely affect the model over the top. You could mitigate for this by adding a window and frame within the openings perhaps. or consider printing these facades flat and glueing together afterwards if you cannot use support materials