Cura 3.6 and 4.0 don't start

NicolaB

Posted · Cura 3.6 and 4.0 don't start

Hi at All,

since yestarday, if i click on the Cura icon or i click on any .stl file, cura 3.6 don't start. On task manager there is the active process, but i don't see anythings. I try to remove and instal another time, but i don't see any changes.

I try to install release 4.0 and still the same.

I try the release 3.5 and it work well.

Suggestion? I use W10 64 bit.

Thanks in advance

Nicola 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Cura 3.6 was working fine without problems. I ran it yesterday, but got no screen.

Nothing happens, task manager shows it's running. Uninstalled it and installed 4.0, but same issue, task manager shows it's runnung but nothing to see. I installed 3.4.1 again, this one is running without any problems.

Any suggestions what's wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Never

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.6 and 4.0 don't start

I have the same issue. 3.6 was working fine and then stopped showing any GUI. I uninstalled it and installed 4.0 and have the same issue with 4.0. The process Cura.exe shows up in Windows Taskmanager with minimal CPU usage but no other signs of activity. Running it with the "run as Administrator" option doesn't help either.

I run it on Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 64-bit.

Edited by reibuehl

I'm curious what happend why did it stop working? I did not do anything, so what caused Cura to behave this way all of a sudden.

Couldn't find any help on the net.

Edited by Nevermind

I solved it. It seems to be some kind of compatabilty failure.

Go to c:\Program files\Ultimaker cura 4.0 or the 3.6 version open it and right click cura.exe

choose properties and choose the compatibility tab, check the box in the compatabilty section (run this program in compatability modus for) choose eigther windows 7 or 8

Click the use button below and ok.

In my case Cura started without problems.

Good luck

(I also run it on a windows 10 Pro 64bit version)

Edited by Nevermind
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 2

I'm having a similar problem on a Mac ever since installing Cura 4.0. Cura 3.6 crashes before the user interface shows onscreen, and Cura 4.0 simply won't print. It states that the model I am printing exceeds the print volume even thought it slices fine and clearly fits within all build volume constraints.

In addition, Cura 4 will not locate my Ultimaker 3 on the network. Cura 3.6 found it just fine, but Cura 4 can't. I can add it manually (by entering the IP address of the printer, it isn't located automatically.I don't know this is why I get the build volume error above.

I've had nothing but trouble since installing Cura 4. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it and still it's no better. It really seems Cura 4 was not adequately tested before it was released, very uncharacteristic of Ultimaker...  

Hi jflund, I don't own a Mac,  but maybe there is someone who can help you, maybe the people of Ultimake read this forum and come up with a solution for your problem.

On 3/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, Nevermind said:

Go to c:\Program files\Ultimaker cura 4.0 or the 3.6 version open it and right click cura.exe

choose properties and choose the compatibility tab, check the box in the compatabilty section (run this program in compatability modus for) choose eigther windows 7 or 8

Good luck

It solves the issue to me as well. Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately there is no Compatibility Mode (that I am aware of) on the Mac. But I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it hasn't happened again since .Here's hoping it never will..

Setting the compatibility mode to "Windows 8" also fixed it for me on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

I filed a bug for this: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/5569

Edited by reibuehl

I have been using ver 4.0 for a couple of months now, probably weekly it fails to load, I have fixed this so I now use it every time, follow these steps .

1: start task manager and end any tasks called cura

2: go to installation directory ( usually c:\program files\ultimaker..

3: find cura.exe

4 right click on it and select properties

5: click compatibility mode and choose windows 7

6: click apply, leave this window open

7: run cura, it will be slow to run, when loaded close it down

8: go back to properties window , uncheck compatibility mode, click apply and close window.

9: run cura, it should load faster now, have fun, you may have to do this every now and again especially if you don’t use it for a week or two but it’s five minutes out of your life and it’s a fantastic program

On 3/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, Nevermind said:

Good luck

you're my hero, many thanks !!!