badbush5

Bumpy first layer

Posted · Bumpy first layer

Hello, faithful reader, first time poster. I've been running into this a lot over the last 2 years, I've mainly used PLA and PETG my whole career, and constantly battle the bumpy initial layer. I've tried changing temp settings, messed with Z height, flow rates (measure along a length of filament every 6 inches for approx a meter and calculate averages) played merry-go-round for several circles leveling my bed perfectly etc.. I'm definitely using an upgraded cheap knockoff Suzau I3 which has the capability to provide very clean prints I'd calibrated correctly, and extra love is provided. But this monster keeps popping up. If anybody can recognize, and knows what area to focus in, I feel my printing experience could become much cleaner. I use a BLtouch level sensor on an ultra base heated bed. Let me know your thoughts! 

20190315_194540.jpg

Posted · Bumpy first layer

To me this looks like overextrusion, maybe due to the nozzle being a little bit too close to the bed? But this is not necessarily a bad thing, because then it is squeezed well into the bed, thus giving a good bonding, and probably a nice underside too? At least, that is what I get on my UM2 if the nozzle is a bit too close. (I don't know your printer.)

Personally I wouldn't care too much, if this is only on the first layer(s), and does not show up through the whole print.