Cura + Soluble Support only on contacting surfaces?

cybin

Posted · Cura + Soluble Support only on contacting surfaces?

Hi!

I'm working on a dual extruder setup to use water soluble supports. But this filament is quite expensive and I'm wondering wether it is possible to print just the contacting surfaces with it. Instead of printing the whole support structure water soluble, it would need only a portion to create easy removable support. The main part of the structures would be printed with the primary material, then. Does Cura support this kind of feature? I couldn't take a look at the dual extrusion settings, yet.

It would look like that:

'=' is the model with primary filament

'-' is the soluble filament

'|' is the support structure with primary filament

=======
-------
|||||||
|||||||
-------
=======

Thanks in advance,

cybin

Posted · Cura + Soluble Support only on contacting surfaces?

The "contacting surfaces" as you name them are called "support interfaces" in Cura. In the advanced settings, you can set the "Support Extruder" to your main extruder, check the "Enable Support Interfaces" setting and then set the "Support Interface Extruder" to your secondary extruder.