MTG

Ultimaker 2+ - stepper motor outside flip?

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ - stepper motor outside flip?

Hey,

has anyone flipped the x/y stepper motors outside of the housing on the Ultimaker2? Is it recommended?

I need the space for my lever shifting system and I thought it would also be nice if I wanted to use an heated build chamber...

I remember reading someone has done it before, but I only found threads about the Ultimaker Original.

From what I read, I just have to switch some cables to reverse the direction of the motor..

you can also install tinkerware firmware and should be able to change motor direction. I don't think it would be too much of an issue and also means you can remove the short belts. 

Yeah nice I just fount the invert axis function. But how can I remove the shortbelts? The pulleys are on the same positions after the swap, arent they?

You can mount the motor onto the axis shaft. You would need to make brackets, maybe buy couplings and longer shafts but as this can improve print quality. If you're going to move them, Why not make improvements at the same time 😃