How can I change direction of layers building?

bee3d

Posted · How can I change direction of layers building?

Hi everyone,

please tell me if I can change the direction of layers (infill and surfaces) building. Now my Ultimaker building layers in 45 degrees default (from left-front corner to right-back corner). I will need to change it because if I rotate my model for 45 degrees Ultimaker is building lenghtways and the model is less durable. I have to rotate my model because in the other way it is out of build plate. Do you have any solution of this problem? Please let me know.

Thanks for help.

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · How can I change direction of layers building?

Very interesting post! I never thought of that.

I don't think the 45 degrees fill is for strength. It is for speed. If each stepper (X and Y) can move 100mm/sec maximum then your diagonal will be 141mm/sec. That is why infill is at 45 degrees. I'm 90% sure. I don't think there is any strength advantage.

If you want a stronger infill you can use a honeycomb infill. It takes much longer to print but is stronger than "square" infill. It is available in cura 13.04 and older. Cura 13.04 is quite dependable and is a good version to use. Or you can use kisslicer.