CURA on Chromebook-How?

octopus2008

• 2 months later...
Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

I keep receiving the error message <frozen zipimport>:259: DeprecationWarning: the imp module is deprecated in favour of importlib; see the module's documentation for alternative uses
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in ""
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

How do i fix this? I have updated everything and fuse is installed as well. Really could use some help. 

• 3 months later...
    Posted (edited) · CURA on Chromebook-How?

of course you can, just install the package flatpak, following the instructions below:

1. Enable Linux support:
      • Navigate to chrome://os-settings, and scroll down to Developers and turn on Linux development environment. Chrome OS will take some time downloading and installing Linux.
    2. Enable nested containers

Close the Linux environment, if it is already active

Open a Chrome browser

Press Ctrl-Alt-T

In the crosh tab that will open, use these commands to enable nested containers:

$ vmc start termina
            $ lxc config set penguin security.nesting true
            $ exit
            $ vmc stop termina

3. Start a Linux terminal

Press the Search/Launcher key, type "Terminal", and launch the Terminal app.

4. Install Flatpak

To install Flatpak, run the following in the terminal:

$ sudo apt install flatpak

6. A more up to date flatpak package is available in the Debian backports repository.

Add the Flathub repository

Flathub is the best place to get Flatpak apps. To enable it, run:

$ flatpak --user remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

and finally we will install cura with the following command

9. flatpak install flathub com.ultimaker.cura

after that a shortcut is created in the applications menu and in fact the double click on the .stl files will be detected opening the program automatically

11. can also be run with the following command

12. flatpak run com.ultimaker.cura

References:

https://flatpak.org/setup/Chrome OS

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.ultimaker.cura

I hope this helps you, greetings and good luck

PD:Sorry my english is not very good

çdsdsd

ddd

d

Edited by davidcharles
    • Thanks 2

• 9 months later...

hi, 

I'm very new to printing I have an Ender 3. I downloaded cura on my Chromebook. At first it would open and do everything but when I would export the slice it would say save to disk and would not create a gcode, now cura wont even boot it tries the says the wayland connection broke. did the wayland compositor die?

download.jpeg

Hello, 

I just started diving into 3D printing and downloaded Cura on my Chromebook but my printer (Anycubic Kobra 2) isn't on an option and upon checking how to add in profile and trying to do it, my Chromebook keeps downloading the profile as an archive and Cura isn't accepting it. I got the profile directly from Anycubic's page and already talked with someone who told me that the file needed to be compressed. Does anyone have an idea on what to do? I haven't seen anything about anyone with the similar issue anywhere.  

Error message "Failed to import profile from /home/-Username-/Kobra 2-Cura-PLA Suggested parameters /Kobra 2-Cura-PLA Suggested parameters .curaprofile: Unable to add the profile."

9 hours ago, InfinityMP3 said:

Hello, 

I just started diving into 3D printing and downloaded Cura on my Chromebook but my printer (Anycubic Kobra 2) isn't on an option and upon checking how to add in profile and trying to do it, my Chromebook keeps downloading the profile as an archive and Cura isn't accepting it. I got the profile directly from Anycubic's page and already talked with someone who told me that the file needed to be compressed. Does anyone have an idea on what to do? I haven't seen anything about anyone with the similar issue anywhere.  

Error message "Failed to import profile from /home/-Username-/Kobra 2-Cura-PLA Suggested parameters /Kobra 2-Cura-PLA Suggested parameters .curaprofile: Unable to add the profile."

How are you trying to add it to Cura? And if you can provide a link to the file and the instructions, then we might be able to see if anything needs to be done different to the instructions.

UltiMaker Cura isn't formally supported under ChromeOS.. so that may be part of it.
    Learn more here: https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667337917781

• Like 2

For what it's worth, being able to access bare Linux (Chrome OS runs on top of Linux, at least for now) on a Chromebook is only officially intended for you to be run Android Studio to develop Android apps. Chrome OS (and the bits of Linux it downloads when you enable that) doesn't include a lot of standard Linux libraries that most programs will expect to be available, and heavily locks down much of the system stuff you'd normally be able to access ("move fast and break things" might be a good business mantra for a Silicon Valley startup but given warranties are a thing it's not something they want to include in retail products).

Its also worth noting.. 
    There has been a number of cases now where people have.. I guess force loaded vanilla Linux on some models of chromebooks?

It appears most of the guides for doing this still lack many required libraries and where they are not missing.. the hardware of the chromebooks often dont meet the minimum requirements to run UltiMaker Cura.

• Like 1

Also also worth noting: some Chromebooks (like my Lenovo Chromebook Duet) use ARM processors instead of the x86 ones PCs use, and there isn't an ARM version of Cura for Linux.

• Like 1

I have been able to run the appimage in Linux on my Chromebook, but the software crashes when I try to open a file. IS there something I'm missing?

5 hours ago, stevejohn100 said:

I have been able to run the appimage in Linux on my Chromebook, but the software crashes when I try to open a file. IS there something I'm missing?

It would be extremely hard to tell in general, but if you could upload the cura.log file it'd help. It's in ~/.local/share/cura

As of 2023, I was using Cura 5.4 on my 2019 HP Chromebook. It was installed using flatpak

I now want to use 5.6 now that it's out, and the only way to do so is by using the appimage file from this site. 

There's major issues with it though. You can't create a shortcut with it, so you always have to type in chmod +x (file.appimage) and then ./(file.appimage) to run it. 

This is not sustainable. I tried to do a 14 hour print as of 4AM today, and Cura crashed so hard it shut my processing system down. When I rebooted my Chromebook, it had automatically deleted everything connected to Cura.

I re-downloaded the appimage, made it executable, and tried to run it again, only for the process to repeat.

Is Cura still compatible with Chromebook, or do I need to drop a few thousand on a PC to use my 3D printer?

IMG_20240211_150318074.jpg

Posted (edited) · CURA on Chromebook-How?
    11 minutes ago, Wheels21 said:

Is Cura still compatible with Chromebook, or do I need to drop a few thousand on a PC to use my 3D printer?

Cura has never been officially compatible with Chromebooks. And you can get a PC good enough to run Cura for a couple of hundred bucks, if budget is an issue - just look for places that sell refurbished ex-fleet (standard PC issued to most people in a company, educational facility, whatever) computers. Almost certainly going to be better than any cheap laptop you can get in that price range (although they'd also run Cura, but probably not as well).

11 minutes ago, Wheels21 said:

This is not sustainable. I tried to do a 14 hour print as of 4AM today, and Cura crashed so hard it shut my processing system down.

If you were printing straight over USB, this is one of the reasons you shouldn't, from any computer, officially supported or not. About the only exception is if you have a dedicated system (usually just an SBC like a Raspberry Pi) running something like OctoPrint. But without that, you should be putting your gcode on whatever removable storage your printer takes and printing from that.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    fixed typo, added bit about printing over USB
    • Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 2:41 AM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Also also worth noting: some Chromebooks (like my Lenovo Chromebook Duet) use ARM processors instead of the x86 ones PCs use, and there isn't an ARM version of Cura for Linux.

Duet buddies!  Mine has an Intel chip, but it is the "X64" type, AKA the"Intel copied ARM this time" kind.  I don't think that's a likely bottleneck, albeit don't ask me too much more than that on the specifics of how the Intel and ARM implementations of it might vary.

On 1/2/2024 at 11:06 PM, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Chrome OS (and the bits of Linux it downloads when you enable that) doesn't include a lot of standard Linux libraries that most programs will expect to be available, and heavily locks down much of the system stuff you'd normally be able to access

Sure, but nothing stopping you from downloading them thereafter.  The Crostini stuff is "locked down" in that it's all happening inside a VM, so you're highly limited in what what you can do the "host" Linux, but not especially so inside it.

Its also not recommended to run UltiMaker Cura inside a VM environment in the most ideal hardware configurations either.
    https://support.ultimaker.com/s/article/1667337917781