CURA on Chromebook-How?

octopus2008

Posted · CURA on Chromebook-How?

I love CURA and recently I purchased a Chromebook x360 to run my 3D printer. I now realize that chromebooks are not officially able/supported to run CURA. Is there a way around this? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've been running Cura 4.0, now 4.1, for a few month on my HP Chromebook X2... just great.

- Download Cura AppImage, give it a simler name

- Run a chmod a+x Cura.AppImage (whatever short name you gave it

Done

To run : open a teminal, run "./Cura.AppImage"

PS : you might have to instal fuse prior, just can't remember when I installed fuse, might be standard now on latest chromeos.

May the Force be with you.

Hi, just today I received a new Chromebook (Dell 5190) and I have run one of my Cura AppImages on it. As @Patrice says, you need to install fuse (do 'sudo apt-get install fuse') and make the Cura AppImage executable. It was a bit slow and the layer view was in compatibility mode but it definitely worked. I also installed an openscad AppImage and that works well so it would be possible to create models and slice all on the chromebook with no network connection.

Since Google is making efforts to bring a full Linux kernel to ChromeOS, I think it will get even easier in the future (if not 'out of the box').

On 5/29/2019 at 1:00 PM, Patrice said:

Hi,

I've been running Cura 4.0, now 4.1, for a few month on my HP Chromebook X2... just great.

- Download Cura AppImage, give it a simler name

- Run a chmod a+x Cura.AppImage (whatever short name you gave it

Done

To run : open a teminal, run "./Cura.AppImage"

PS : you might have to instal fuse prior, just can't remember when I installed fuse, might be standard now on latest chromeos.

May the Force be with you.

Patrice - I was able to install the cura appimage on my chromebook, and it ran after being installed, but it did not create a shortcut to run again, how did you create a shortcut, or how do you run it?  

Thank you

5 hours ago, ramboton said:

Patrice - I was able to install the cura appimage on my chromebook, and it ran after being installed, but it did not create a shortcut to run again, how did you create a shortcut, or how do you run it?  

Thank you

Hi Ramboton,

Unfortunately, I could not setup a shortcut : you have to open a terminal and re-type ./Cura.AppImage everytime you start Cura.

I wish some linux skilled folk could post a solution for it.

Ideally, a shortcut could enable font size adjustment specific to Cura since font size are bsed on my chromebook screen def options, hence ridiculously small.

Same issue with KISSlicer that is just unusable for the same reason(even worse than Cura.

Any Linux expert around ?

MTFBWY

ah, ok.

Thank you

I installed fuse, and have cura downloaded, but it won't run. is there a package manager that you can get cura on or am I doing it wrong? And yes I did mark the file as Cura.Applmage

Also here it will not run, on Pixelbook with stable 76. I get no message on the console, fails silently.

It used to run before, could it be something to do wit the new GPU support?

Cura on Chromebook update - with recent chrome releases, it is now possible for the Linux apps to use accelerated OpenGL and so now you get the full layer view functionality rather than being forced to use compatibility mode. It's really getting quite usable now.

Confirmed, 4.3.0 works for me on 77.

New Chromebbok user here, so apologies if this I'm going full newb but I tried the guide posted by @Patrice and ran into the following error:

chmod: changing permissions of 'Cura4.AppImage': Operation not permitted

I tried running sudo chmod a+x Cura4.appImage but just got the same error; any chance one of you knows how I could fix this?

Cheers!

I don't know but I suspect cura doesn't run on chrome os.  Anyway - are you sure you know the admin password?  To be safe do this:

sudo -s

Then you should have to enter a password.  Then make sure the prompt changes (ending with # instead of $).  Now do an "ls" command to make sure you are in the right folder:

ls Cura*

then if it's there do the chmod command.

Then to run it you do:

./Cura4.AppImage     (or whatever the file is called).

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I gave it a go with sudo -s and while it did switch me to root with the # at the end,  when I tried chmod again I got the same error. If root doesn't have permission, which user would? I'm not sure where to go from here.

I would ask on a google chrome forum how to change protection of a downloaded file to enable execution.

Where did you put the Appimage? Make sure it is on the virtual machine itself, not on a shared directory.

11 hours ago, stan_sci_man said:

New Chromebbok user here, so apologies if this I'm going full newb but I tried the guide posted by @Patrice and ran into the following error:

chmod: changing permissions of 'Cura4.AppImage': Operation not permitted

I tried running sudo chmod a+x Cura4.appImage but just got the same error; any chance one of you knows how I could fix this?

Cheers!

Living proof that Cura runs on modern chromebooks. Performance is quite acceptable and all features are available.

1860257233_Screenshot2019-10-28at21_45_16.thumb.png.178696a50707c1bb33d9e10eae726e8d.png

I can't seem to connect my acer 11 to cura with my R1 plus.

Can someone help me out on that?

Hello,  So I have installed cura 4.5 on my Pixelbook and it seems to be running just fine.

Now, I am trying to import the profile for my Artillery Sidewinder and I am not having any luck. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Besides running it as a Terminal window or installing Linux and all that they both entail and are mentioned above, Chrome Remote Desktop can work.  Pretty easy to set up and works for a lot of other things as well.  I use it to play MTG: Arena.

remotedesktop.google.com

remotedesktop.jpg

ChromeRemoteDesktop.PNG

Can someone tell me start to finish, how to download cura for an acer chromebook with links? I'd be so happy. I'm smart but i got no idea what this all means. I have an ender 3 3d printer from Creality. I've finally got the bed leveled but I dont have a windows computer to run cura on.

I think I can explain this for you, and anybody else who can't figure this out.

1. Download the Linux version of Cura from the official website, https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura
    2. Activate "Linux" or "Linux Apps" in the chromebook settings
    3. Move the newly downloaded Cura Appimage to your linux folder in the built in files app.
    4. Open a linux terminal
    5. Run "chmod a+x {insert file name here}
    6. Run "./{insert file name here}

Like others have said, you will not get a shortcut to open Cura. You will have to type "./{insert file name here} everytime you want to run the app.

One more tip, I recommend you change the file name to something more simple, such as "Cura.AppImage" suggested by another user.

Good Luck!!!

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

how do i open a file from an sd card on my chromebook.  I got Cura to run, but now i cant get a file to upload into cura