Peek totally melted :(

xeno

Posted · Peek totally melted :(

well, I plugged it in, ran the software, tested the end switches, and all was fine...

that is until I started to do a test print of a cube, it ran good, just a tiny little bit smoke, but that was to be expected...

but the smoke became a lot more, and before I knew it the peek turned into goo :O

turned everything off, and started to look for the fault, and it was the temp sensor plug on top of the extruder head,it had popped out

even when I tried to put it back in it just kept coming loose, I had to make some adjustments to the plug to get it stay in.

the only trouble is, I can't test if it works now, as the peek, heater and sensor are probably burned up.

lets hope I can get a replacement soon :D

4910041.jpeg

Auch. Not sure what firmware you are using, but Marlin has protection against disconnection of the sensor board. (I think if the thermocouple disconnect it will continue to heat)

Only the peek will be damaged, the thermocouple should be fine I think. Not sure about the specs, but I've seen numbers like 700-1000C

well, I plugged it in, ran the software, tested the end switches, and all was fine...

that is until I started to do a test print of a cube, it ran good, just a tiny little bit smoke, but that was to be expected...

but the smoke became a lot more, and before I knew it the peek turned into goo :O

turned everything off, and started to look for the fault, and it was the temp sensor plug on top of the extruder head,it had popped out

even when I tried to put it back in it just kept coming loose, I had to make some adjustments to the plug to get it stay in.

the only trouble is, I can't test if it works now, as the peek, heater and sensor are probably burned up.

lets hope I can get a replacement soon :D

4910041.jpeg

As Daid said, heater and TC are still fine... I am more concerned with the sensor board... since the chip is giving false outputs, i.e. 2.2V (220C) when the whole hot end has a much higher temp (>343C), shouldn't happen. the TC is standardized, not much that can go wrong with it (41µV/C for the k-type TC), and the temp reading via the arduino also can't account for such drastic errors.

Hi, same happened with me (unfortunately several times because I didn't know what happened and finally I had the cause: the tube for the supply of material in the printnozzle comes loose from the connector (with with blue washer). I lifts up the tube whiche disconnects the tempsensor and up goes your temperature. I fixed the PEEK and reassembled but have been trying now for a month to get the connector well. I don't know the solution, so can anyone help me out on this?