Setting up network printer in Cura on Mac 10.14 (Mohave)

happycapy

Posted · Setting up network printer in Cura on Mac 10.14 (Mohave)

Confused - I'm trying to set up my network printer (Makerbot) in the Cura software. I go to Add Printer ... and that's it. There aren't any network options or buttons; I can add the Makerbot profile, but that's it - not seeing anywhere to put in an IP or confirm that it automatically found the printer. Weird. 

I"m seeing references here and there to Cura Connect, which I gather is a separate package, but not sure if that's something I need to actually print from Cura or not, nor am I seeing any download links for it anywhere. 

Cura Connect works only with Ultimaker printers because the second part of Cura Connect is in the printer's firmware.

As far as I know, setup a network printer only works out of the box for UM printers. There is a plugin in the marketplace for Octoprint, to send the jobs via the network to your Octopi, but there is no general network functionality for other brands. I guess you will need a specific plugin for your Makerbot, because it will use a specific API.

The naming of Cura Connect is a bit unfortunate IMHO as it doesn't actually connect Cura's but only Ultimakers (in that regard Ultimaker Connect would have been a better name). You're not the first to be confused by that.

Smithy is indeed correct with his assessment. It's probably possible to support the Makerbot API's, but we won't spend any time building it. I very much doubt that Makerbot will put in the time / effort to make such a plugin either.