Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
Dim3nsioneer

These are the numbers

Hi there

Today I wanted to switch from 50mm/s speed to 100mm/s, something I've done before w/o any problems. I was then very surprised finding my Ultimaker rush at nearly light speed on the first layer as the bottom layer speed was set to 20mm/s. After having tested around with old Cura settings, I found this configuration to work properly:

Basic settings:

20130926_Cura_Settings_Basic1.jpg

Advanced settings:

20130926_Cura_Settings_Advanced1.jpg

Expert settings:

20130926_Cura_Settings_Expert1.jpg

There are no plugins activated, but present in the plugin folder.

Then I tried to change the Minimal layer time in the Advanced settings from 5s to 7s. The result was, that the speed for the first layer G1 commands increased from 1200 (equal to 20mm/s) to insane 5940... Changing back to 5s and it became sane again.

The same effect I got when changing the number of skirt lines from 3 to 1: the F-argument of the first layer G1 command increased to 5900.

There is no such effect when the standard speed is set to 50mm/s.

I already de-installed Cura and re-installed it: no change...

Has someone ever experienced a similar effect? Any idea how I could cure Cura?

thxs

Just tried the 13.09 Pre-Release and it was causing some very aggressive jumps on the first few layers of my print... to the point that it would skip steps and end up printing layers all over the place. Not sure what's up. Print is now going fine with the same settings using 13.07 ST2.

Oh, a difference between the 13.07 and the 13.09 is that the first layer travel moves now happen at the full travel speed. I'm still not 100% sure if that's a good idea, as it might be easy to rip off the printed parts with this. I'm thinking about setting the travel speed to print speed for the first layer, and not doing any retractions. This should improve first layer adhesion I think.