Poor outer wall quality Cura 3.x/4.0

nagygabor679

Posted · Poor outer wall quality Cura 3.x/4.0

I would like switch from Repetier+Cura 2.x to Cura 4.0. I use  same printer, same filament, same speed, layer height, nozzle. But Cura 3.x and 4.0 make much worse quality wall, as you can see on photos. I tried hundreds of settings, but nothing not changed with this issue. Please help , how can I try fix it? Thanks!

Nem érhetŠel leírás a fényképhez.

Nem érhetŠel leírás a fényképhez.

8 hours ago, nagygabor679 said:

Please help , how can I try fix it?

Hello @nagygabor679, to help us diagnose the problem, please save a project file (File -> Save) and attach the resulting .3mf file to this thread. Then we can see the settings you are using. Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the file. I would recommend two changes, enable the Optimize Wall Print Order setting to reduce the amount of travel required and also set Max Comb Distance With No Retract to some non-zero value (10 or 20?). Hope this helps.

Do you still have the gcode that produces a better result? If so, please attach it to this thread so I can compare it with what is produced now. Thanks.

Here is the gcode of Repetier, what is perfect , and the Cura 4.0 better version:

cura4.gcoderepetier.gcode

Thanks for the files. The most obvious difference is that the cura4 file has part cooling fan running and the repetier file has no part cooling fan.

Sorry, I forgot turn off fan, when I made the sample code with Cura4. But I can't remember exaclty the fan setting, when I made the first pictures, so I print a new test without fan. This isn't good still. 

image.thumb.png.7cb93139e31c7556d88e5c6a442db892.png

Cura4_fan_off.gcode

The next obvious difference is the repetier code is doing 6mm retracts at 80mm/S and the cura4 code is doing 4mm retracts at 30mm/S.

BTW, are you printing these two gcodes using the same method? i.e. both from SD card or both using USB with the same host program?

I printed both using USB, but the good version  printed with Repetier Host+builtin  old Cura slicer (I think 2.xx version), the worse version printed with Cura 4.0.

28 minutes ago, nagygabor679 said:

I printed both using USB, but the good version  printed with Repetier Host+builtin  old Cura slicer (I think 2.xx version), the worse version printed with Cura 4.0.

So maybe it's a USB comms issue?

I tried print Cura4 gcode from SD card. No change.

OK, so what about the difference in retract amount & speed I mention above?

I tried lots of different retract lenght and speed, but I will do a test with same retrect settings, if you think. But Im tired, it will be tomorrow. Many thanks, because you try help me.

The outer curved wall unchanged (Signed with blue). But I noticed, inside curve of my test object is almost good. I took a picture about inner curve, what I signed with red. (I think it was changed, before I made the last retract settings, but I notcied only now.)

image.thumb.png.4ee0824448ed29ffc09688e50b952780.pngimage.thumb.png.2f6d13011954536070e96591237321ea.png