Cura 4 stops mid print

greengecko

Posted · Cura 4 stops mid print

Hi,

i tried cura 4.0 and it shows a funny behaviour.

i am printing quite detailed min figures (with tree support and adaptive layers).

when i slice with cura 4 sometimes the print stops during print.

unfortunately extruder stays at the temp and it slowly forms a blob at the print. there is nothing that can be done i have to switch off the machine.

it is actually worrying because if not attended it could start a fire of melt the extruder parts.

i have a modified ultimaker original (a ulti2 printhead) and a selfmade heated bed.

i suspected the power supply, but when i go back to cura 3.6 this stopping does not occur. unfortunately it is not reproducible it just happens sometimes but always when sliced with 4 and so far not with 3.6.

anyone seen this behaviour? or has an advice what to look for, is it possible that cure 4 creates too complicated gcode?

running out of ideas.

thanks in advance

My problem is similar.  My print is stopping at EXACTLY 50% completion using Cura 4.0.  It has done this twice in a row.  I sliced again on 3.4 and am running another print now.

I suspect your power brick.  Don't blame cura, lol.

You could try raising the temp of the bed because the resistance is higher at higher temps so uses less power when it's at it's max cycle.  Or you could install tinker marlin which allows you to do power budgeting (you could lower the power to the bed).  Or even oiling the rods can save some power.  Or you could get a new power brick.