Layer thickness x number of lays when sliced would not equal model height

SeanAZ

Posted · Layer thickness x number of lays when sliced would not equal model height

I'm completely new to 3D printing.  I'm slicing my first model and noticed something I am not sure I should be concerned about or not. I'm using a .06mm layer thickness, and my model is 5.40mm tall.  When Cura slices it, preview says it will be 86 layers.    5.4/.06 equals 90.      My concern is the model is made up a .06mm tall piece, stacked 90 times with a 2 degree rotation per stack. A screw of sorts.  IF the preview is supposed to accurately show the slices then its missing 4.

Is this a normal slicing thing that happens?

OR 

Is it an issue?

OR 

Is there possibly a setting I'm missing that it is not following scale exactly in some way?

Thanks for any education and/or help.

Posted · Layer thickness x number of lays when sliced would not equal model height

There is another parameter, "initial layer height".  This is the height of the first layer.  I'm not sure what the default is - it depends on nozzle diameter and material but 0.27mm is not uncommon.  .27 + .06*85 = 5.37mm

Or maybe your first layer is 0.3mm.

By the way, I don't recommend .06mm for beginners.  Better to get some good quality prints with 0.2 or 0.1 layer height first before moving to 0.06mm.

Thanks you for responding gr5.   I know that printing at .06mm is going to be tricky.   It is just one piece of a multipiece project that I happened to design first, figured I start looking at Cura to start getting familier with it.  But adventually I need to go there.    I'll double check for first layer height..  I did find top and bottem height and tried adjusting them but he numbers of layers still remained 86.  But am I right in thinking that it should slice to 90 layers? 

It should slice to 86 layers if the first layer is 0.3mm thick.

The top/bottom thickness...

So cura has the word "wall "and "top/bottom skin".  When you think of a single slice, wall is the interface between air and part.  The wall separates air on one side and infill on the other side of the "wall".

Skin is in the Z direction.  If you print a cube, it's obvious what's top and bottom.  If you print a pyramid there will be some "skin" all the way up the side of the pyramid.  At least if the top/bottom thickness is say 2mm.  If top/bottom thickness is only 0.06mm then you will only get one layer of skin on "top" and "bottom" surfaces.  Again for something like a sphere there are lots of little tiny "top" and "bottom" surfaces/skin.

Ah see "skin" is a new term for me,  but makes perfect since that "wall" would have a z axis equivalent.

So now my question is what am I doing wrong parameter wise that I am not getting a 0.06mm first(bottom) layer and/or 0.06mm last (Top) layer?

So currently under Shell

Extruder 1

Wall Thickness               to 0.80mm

WalLine Count               to 2  

Top/Bottom thickness   to 0.06mm

Top Thickness               to 0.06mm

Top Layers                     to 1   (I have tried 0 to 10 with no change in sliced layers)

Bottom Thickness          to 0.06 mm

Bottom Layers               to 1  (Also 0 to 10 with no change)

Extruder 2

Wall Thickness               to 0.80mm

WalLine Count               to 2  

Top/Bottom thickness   to 0.80mm (This default, it was letting me change it but now it does not)

Top Thickness               to 0.06mm

Top Layers                     to 0   (I have tried 0 to 10 with no change in sliced layers)

Bottom Thickness          to 0.06 mm

Bottom Layers               to 0  (Also 0 to 10 with no change)

Seems no mater what I do it results in 86 layers.

Not sure if I'm even in the right area.

I originally had extruder 1 and 2 both matching like Extruder 1 above. Since I have been playing around Extruder 2 wont let me change Top/Bottom Thickness from the default 0.80mm so not sure why that is.

Screenshot (94).png

Sorry, I was on basic fuctions all this time, switched to Expert and the intial layer thickness you mentioned earlier popped up and upon changing that I got my 90 layers.    That you for the your time and help Gr5.  Gratelly appreciated.