What do I need to start

tt13

Posted · What do I need to start

Hi to all – joined today and just about to take my first big adventure into all things 3D – so purchasing the UM2 is the obvious choice, correct – so besides the actual printer I am not completely 100% clear on what accessories or spares or other goodies I should include for as I make my purchase – am down here in Australia so thinking it’s probably easier to get most of the stuff I’ll need on the first buy - would like to start off on PLA then move to ABS as my skill level gets there and finally nylon to do stuff for my work – plus a bit of two colour eventually --------- so besides the unit what are you suggestions – thanks to all Paul

Hi Paul,

I'd say the Ultimaker is pretty much self contained for printing. There is also a spool of filament included (Ultimate Blue). From experience here is the stuff (even minor parts) that I accumulated over time. Mind you, I have my printer for two months now, but I tinkered with another open source printer before:

• Needle-nose pliers - very useful to hunt down small strands of filament and for "post processing" models
    • Digital caliper - very useful for calibration
    • Sewing machine oil - Useful for lubrication, although I don't know about the UM2 in this regard, however it was useful for the Ultimaker 1
    • M3 hex screw driver - It was included with the Ultimaker 1, I don't know about the UM2
    • Diamond files kit - Very useful for post processing. Link

If you intend to paint your models you'll need stuff for that. Search the forums, there are plenty of people doing that.

That's what I can think of for now.

Oh one more thing. If you don't want to print off sdcard you could buy a Raspberry Pi and install OctoPrint on it. Then you'd have a standalone printing station where you only need to add (or queue) models for printing via a web interface. OctoPrint is found here.

Thanks most kindly Nicolinux - luckily I have most of that those items already but what I was really trying to work out was what other parts/spares are recommended to get when I place my order - thanks

Thanks most kindly Nicolinux - luckily I have most of that those items already but what I was really trying to work out was what other parts/spares are recommended to get when I place my order - thanks

Gooday fellow Aussie

It's a bit of an unknown with the UM2 as no one has owned one long enough to see if anything wears out. It appears they have improved a few of the parts which should make them more reliable. I would getting nothing extra or possibly a spare nozzle.

Fellow Aussie here - yes that was the thing that was confusing me - not enough history on it yet - anyway I'll probably order just the unit over the weekend and wait till I break something - plus did you buy local or import and I can't seem to find anyone local -------- also am down the road near Parramatta - bye

Currently all spare-parts up for sale in the shop are UM-Original parts. They won't fit in the UM2.

For Australia I would recommend at looking for a local ABS/PLA/Nylon supplier. There is a huge list of suppliers here: http://reprap.org/wiki/Printing_Material_Suppliers

General 3mm filament should work (which is actually 2.85mm), but we only guarantee our own PLA/ABS. There is a difference in quality from different suppliers, which is why I recommend staying away from chinees suppliers. (We once found small balls from ball-bearings in Chinese filament. Not to mention huge varying thickness)

The UM2 comes with:

* The awesome Machine, fully assembled.

* A roll of blue tape (can be used, but not required. Can be used to print PLA without the heated bed on)

* A glue stick (printing on glass with a glue-stick does wonders for both PLA and ABS). It's also cheap and easy to replace locally when used up.

* The hex-screwdriver. It could be used to take apart almost the whole machine. But the only real use case is adjusting the feeder pressure.

* A cardboard box (you know, to ship it all in) with a huge Ultimaker logo on it. So you will be happy even before you unpack it!

* Single roll of PLA

* An 2GB SD card

* An invisible pink unicorn (it improves printing quality. Really!)

Currently all spare-parts up for sale in the shop are UM-Original parts. They won't fit in the UM2.

Excellent and thank you - this is what I was getting confused on as I scrolled thru your on line store - it didn't make sense to me as I'm just starting out and know very little - now it's clear - good and thanks again

Hey Daid

I am new to this forum and waiting for my Ultimaker². Could you explain the joke about the pink unicorn?

* An invisible pink unicorn (it improves printing quality. Really!)

I didn't get it! :-)

On the initial released photos of the UM2 there was an slot visible which is not part of the final machine, people where asking what the slot was for. And I joked that it was for feeding the invisible pink unicorn inside of the machine.

(And the invisible pink unicorn is also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Pink_Unicorn )

Disclaimer: Any remarks made by my about Unicorns or Ponies are about totally fictional. No ponies (nor unicorns) where harmed at Ultimaker.