Jump to content

Strange Feedrate GCode Causing Crashes

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited) · Strange Feedrate GCode Causing Crashes

Hello all,

I have a Geeetech A20M running Marlin, and am using Cura 4.1. I have been using this combination for a couple of weeks now with great results. However, this morning, I switched back from my other printer, made a couple minor setting adjustments (I don't remember specifically; first layer print temp and supports probably), and now I am getting some odd lines in my gcode files. For example:


G1 X43.48 Y107.148 E69.47124
G0 F7200 X43.105 Y107.01
G0 X43.272 Y106.556
G1 F3240 E60.47124
G1 F17987547480000 Z0.75
G0 F7200 X43.327 Y106.41 Z0.75
G0 X43.695 Y140.43
G1 F17987547480000 Z0.25
G1 F3240 E69.47124
G1 F1200 X42.941 Y140.149 E69.50987
G1 X42.233 Y140.087 E69.544
G1 X41.535 Y140.209 E69.57803


You can see there twice in just a few lines, an insanely large G1 F command. I discovered the problem because any time my machine encounters one of these lines, it just freezes completely. No response from the controls, and nothing on serial. If I comment all of them out, it seems to run fine. They occur at almost every change between different portions of the print (as above, just before and after changing to printing an inner wall). Unfortunately, I don't see any settings in my Cura profile that would suggest an issue.


I have attached my filament profile if it's any help. Note that I have it set up for 5 extruders; these are virtual extruders, and represent different mixes between the two inputs of the mixing hotend.


Any suggestions?

A20M PETG (feedrate problem).curaprofile

Edited by finchamp

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Strange Feedrate GCode Causing Crashes

Yeah - it turns out that is the speed of light in mm/minute.  It also turns out that Marlin gets confused and doesn't limit it to the max Z speed for you machine.  As it should.  Probably some integer overflow problem.


The fix is discussed in this other thread:


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Strange Feedrate GCode Causing Crashes

Thanks so much! Setting "Maximum Z Speed" under the Speed tab on my print profile seems to have solved the problem. So helpful!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Survey: Understanding your workflow
      Interact with future concepts and aim to collect your feedback and opinion. In particular, if this would/could be a welcome addition to your 3D printing workflow. Interested?
      • 0 replies
    • Coronavirus: Let's do our part
      Through this post I would like to further explain what we are doing, and what you could be doing. 
      Our efforts consist of 2 layers. First; connect medical institutions and hospitals to (local) 3D Printing hubs to help them print parts of which a 3D model already exists. And second, contribute to design the necessary part and then have it printed via a (local) 3D printing hub. Experts are available from within Ultimaker and from within our network of 3D printing experts.
        • Like
      • 46 replies
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!