ivokremer

Position on z-axis from Tinkercad to Cura via STL file

Posted · Position on z-axis from Tinkercad to Cura via STL file

I am experimenting with 2-color prints with our Ultimaker 3.

I have made a very simple design for a keychain in Tinkercad. It is a keychain with someones name on it. In Tinkercad the name is a different model than the rest of the keychain and it floats on top of the keychain model. The bottom of the name model is 3mm (I suppose +3 on the Z-axis), so it actually looks like it is floating above the grid in Tinkercad.

Then I export the name and keychain models as two separate .STL files from Tinkercad and open these .STL files in Cura 3.6.0.

However, when I click on Edit > Reset All Model Positions, Cura positions both models on the x-axis and y-axis exactly like they are positioned in Tinkercad, but on the z-axis the bottom of the name model is positioned on the zero value. In other words: I see it disappear within the rest of the keychain.

The only way I was able to solve this problem so far was by stretching the name model in Tinkercad along the z-axis, but that is not really what I want.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Should I use other design software such as Fusion360 instead or can this problem be solved with either Tinkercad or Cura?

To print in two colors do the following:

Assign extruder 1 to one model

Assign extruder 2 to the other model

Right click, select all models

Right click, merge models

This should position the models as in the Cad software

Then print!

That is indeed what I was looking for! Thank you very much :)