Ultimaker S5 no Z Hop performed on first layer

V3DPrinting

Posted · Ultimaker S5 no Z Hop performed on first layer

Hi to all

I have a job which is dual extrusion (ColorFabb XT and Ultimaker TPU) which runs smoothly on UM3E.

Unfortunately I can only print 6 pieces at a time for approx 8h print.

I need to speed up the order, so I have tried to print 12 pieces at a time on my S5, so I've duplicated the settings on the S5.

If I look at the print simulation on Cura, the first layer looks perfect, with a retract + Z Hop when moving over the already printed part of the first layer.

Printed on the UM3E, the behavior is the same as simulated in Cura, but on the S5, the second extruder (Blue TPU) is not performing any Z Hop on the first layer, so there is an unacceptable pollution of the white first layer done by the first extruder.

IMG_4039.thumb.jpeg.9048164c987e387be51084b4f270ffa9.jpeg

My settings :

Cura 4.1.0

UM3E FW 5.2.11.20190503

UM S5 FW : 5.2.11.20190503

Attached the projects on both printers and the result of the first layer on S5.

It seems to be a FW issue on S5.

As usual, I have a customer order pending with that issue.

Thanks for your quick feedbacks

Best

David

UM3E_Parts x6.3mf UMS5_Parts x12.3mf

Hi @burtoogle

So basically I need to tell the printer to make a Z Hop all the time and it should work, making a Z hop with each retraction ?

Then I have two questions :

1) Why the Cura simulation is correct, making the Z Hop with the S5 ?

2) Why the S5 is not performing the Z Hop instructions a least on the first layer ?

The cura layer view only distinguishes between retracted (light blue) and non-retracted (dark blue) travels. It doesn't show whether z-hop is used or not. You have to use another gcode viewer to see what's going to happen.

If you have the z-hop only over printed parts setting enabled, it won't z-hop between parts, it will retract, but not z-hop.

@burtoogle 

Thanks for the answer.

In the mean time, I've been through the Gcode file, the old way, with Repetier.

Indeed when the Z hop only over printed parts is on, there is a z hop inside the part, but no between two parts with the S5.

I will check the gcode file generated for the UM3E, as the print is good.