Custom dual extruder setup chopping off the left side of the bed

Bendable

Posted · Custom dual extruder setup chopping off the left side of the bed
I've been trying to find a solution in the online manual but maybe I'm just too daft to find it.  I have an older MendelMax-3 dual extruder printer, where extruder #1 is on the right, and extruder #2 is 33mm to the left.  But when I try to enter my printer information into Cura, it cuts off 33mm from the left edge of the bed, marking it as an unprintable area.  But the truth is that the print head can move off the bed on both sides, making the entire bed area fair game.  How do I tell Cura that?  I've tried setting the Printer Settings > X Width and Printhead Settings > X Max to be 33mm wider to compensate, but this still makes the printer think that (0,0) is 33mm to the right of the left edge, and causes objects on the right side of the bed to print off the edge of the bed all together.

• 4 weeks later...

Reading you loud and clear... just no knowledge to impart. Someone with more experience on setting up machine definitions will need to reply.

• 3 years later...

I had this same issue, related to Cura assuming nozzles can't overhang the edge.

If you go into:

Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.1.0\share\cura\resources\definitions

Then open "custom.def"

Then paste in the bolded code as follows:

{
        "version": 2,
        "name": "Custom FFF printer",
        "inherits": "fdmprinter",
        "metadata": {
            "visible": true,
            "author": "Ultimaker",
            "manufacturer": "Custom",
            "file_formats": "text/x-gcode",
            "has_materials": true,
    "nozzle_offsetting_for_disallowed_areas" : false,

....etc

Then it'll get rid of that blocked off area for your custom set up printer (all custom printers inherit their settings from that).