Have I fried my circuit board?

jamieo

Posted · Have I fried my circuit board?

Hi there,

I hope you excuse my ignorance.

A friend of mine installed a heated bed for me some time back but now the temperature on the bed will only rise as soon as I turn my ultimaker on. I'm still a noob with electronics and my friend is not around any more. It was also nearly the price of a new machine to have it fixed locally. So I'm stuck trying understand whats causing this.

The problem first started when I noticed the amps read-out on the power supply started dropping to approximately 2amps and back up to around14amps when it powers the heated bed. Then it stayed at around 2 powering everything but the bed. I have a 19volt power supply, but dial it to use around 17volts.

So I checked around the wiring, and under the arduino board I found this wire disconnected from, what looked like the 2 connectors, or should it have only connected with 1? I soldered it back to the 2 connectors, as seen in the first image.

This image shows the other side. See the heat marks around the wires on the board? Does that look damaged?

The small thing burnt out in this image. I replace it but they heat up very quickly still to dangerous levels.

So I replaced the burnt thing (sorry:), reconnected the wire, all looks good but the bed starts heating without setting it to do so and the things in the last image still over heat. I'm guessing the board is damage, but I really don't have any idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

It looks like you soldered the red wire back to the 2 pins of your mosfet, when you should have soldered it to only the middle pin. This is shorting out the MOSFET (the small thing that gets very hot and burnt).

The chances are that once you fix this and replace the MOSFET all should be well.

Hope this helps - good luck

I agree with what am001 said. In the photo it looks exactly like that is what happened.

If you are lucky the MOSFET (that 3 pin part) won't be damaged yet.

This image shows the other side. See the heat marks around the wires on the board? Does that look damaged?

Maybe but I doubt it. Any solder you use has flux mixed in which is a brown sticky stuff and looks similar to burn marks. It looks more like flux to me. Flux can be cleaned with the correct solvent.