S5 printhead retainer clip

aag

Posted (edited) · S5 printhead retainer clip

Modified from a previous design published by others. I have shortened and broadened the retainer clip, so that it wouldn't crash against the glass doors when printing an object that reaches to the very front of the build plate. Note that this design is specific to the S5.

I strongly advise to always use this retainer clip. I have completely destroyed a printhead because the front disengaged from its wimpy little magnets and crashed into the model (fortunately UM accepted that this was a warranty issue).

https://grabcad.com/library/1033247

image.thumb.png.6deec2845b661053e6812b78b193f590.png

Edited by aag
  • Thanks 1

Posted · S5 printhead retainer clip

Thanks for the modified design.

I'm still not sure if I should use the clip or not. I had the clip for a while above, then again not, opinions differ.

In the event that the print object comes loose and is pulled along by the print head, I'm not sure if the damage in the print head isn't even greater if the flap doesn't open. 

On the other hand, if everything else is fine and only the flap opens, then the clip can prevent more damage.