Cura 4.2 won't start on windows 10 64-bit

SmileyNeil

Posted · Cura 4.2 won't start on windows 10 64-bit

Hi,

I'm struggling with this issue for a long time...

For me it seems to be a problem connecting to internet, it's for the check for new version option or to send (annonymous) information of the print...
I deselect does 2 options and now everything is working probably.
To give a try to open without disabling those, try to deactivate (temporarily) the firewall..

I hope it helps.

Thanks all, however i cannot get any Cura versions to start.  I have disabled firewalls, run as admin, tried different versions, checked the 3d graphics and drivers.......i am at a loss.  At the moment the only option i can think of is to buy a new PC (i am running on a work laptop at the moment win10 pi7 quite high spec) so can only assume it is something to do with work admin settings.  CUra will not actually start so i can't get to any settings to modify them.  Anyway Merry Xmas! :>

4 minutes ago, Stef1885 said:

Thanks all, however i cannot get any Cura versions to start.  I have disabled firewalls, run as admin, tried different versions, checked the 3d graphics and drivers.......i am at a loss.  At the moment the only option i can think of is to buy a new PC (i am running on a work laptop at the moment win10 pi7 quite high spec) so can only assume it is something to do with work admin settings.  CUra will not actually start so i can't get to any settings to modify them.  Anyway Merry Xmas! 😆

This is how I was.  All I did was go into device manager, select the video graphics driver and update it. Sorry for you if that didn't work for you. 

Thanks, i checked the drivers and it is telling me all up to date for my Intel UHD Graphics 620.  Something is holding off the launch of the Cura software, i have diabled firewalls etc but no joy.  Thanks for all the tips if anyone has any other ideas be great to try them out 😆

Hello,

Since Cura 4.2, when I noticed that it was taking too long to start, I opened the Task Manager and killed to Cura process before restarting it as administrator. It used to happen once or twice a week, no matter how many times I used Cura in between. After that, Cura would run normally again. Then came version 4.3 and version 4.4, but it continued that way.

About a month ago, I had the Windows update for version 1909 applied and since then I did not have to do that... yet...

My motherboard has Intel Graphics 630, but I don't think it poses much of a difference. Anyway it also got an update applied recently.

Best regards,

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.2 won't start on windows 10 64-bit

Okay, so I see You had a problem similiar to mine, I updated from 3.6 on my brand new laptop and it didn't want to start.

Fortunately, I got mine working. It looks like older versions of Cura make some registry directories that the newer version tries to use. Mine didn't want to start despite countless reinstalls, but when i got the 4.2 on my other PC that never had Cura on it previously, it worked. So my solution was to run a reg cleaner after uninstalling Cura and then installing the newest version. I hope that it helps You too. ^^

Edited by Myszakisame

Update on my situation. Annoyingly I have an issue with my Lenovo z500 touch that means I can't update the graphics driver as I have done (which got cura to work)  because when I use a later driver when you press either up or down on the brightness button it shoots straight to lowest brightness and refuses to deviate from there unless I put the earlier graphics driver back in... So I put that back in to to get my brightness adjustment back and then off course cura won't load again. Anyone got any ideas on how to overcome this? Thanks

I've always found that running it in Windows 8 compatibility mode fixes the problem. I have to do this every time a new release comes out and it never fails.

Hi all, first of all many thanks to all those who took the time to suggest how to get Cura to work with my new laptop running Win10.  I cleared the Reg but this didn't work for me.  I tried changing compatibility to Win 8 this didn't work either BUT my old laptop was using Win7 (when it all worked fine), so i changed to compatibility for Win7 and voila, it all works and i am back to printing!  Thanks.  I still do not know why the Cura 4.4 (and all previous versions) will not work on my Win 10 laptop, but at least it is working now. Stef

Hi, I also had trouble opening Cura in Windows 10, but on ready suggestions on this Forum, I changed compatibility mode to Windows 8 and it works.

Hello,

I am a newbe in 3 d printing. Since I am an electronic engineer I decided to make a 3 d printer by myself (Will start building it in july, august, because we cannot travel due too Corona). It's a hobby to build something. OK, so far... I was looking for a good 3d slicer program, and came to Ultimaker Cura, I installed 4.6, but I cannot start it up. First I had troubles with missing DLL, this is now solved, but now I have the terrible message 0x0000005, and don't get any further. (I spend allready 4 day's trying to find a solution, but nothing). My machine is a Windows 7 machine 64 bit (Acer Aspire 7750G), with Radeon AMD graphics card (HD7670M). What did I allready do:

Start Cura normal -> Nope

Start cura as administrator -> Nope

Start Cura as administrator in compatibility modus windows 8 -> Nope

Start Cura as administrator in compatibility modus windows 7 -> Nope

Update the graphics driver to the last driver available on the internet, and repeat everything above -> Nope

Followed some tutorials on internet running some commands to solve problem -> Nope

Also tried everything mentioned above with previous versions -> Nope

It seems like my computer don't want the love of Cura. Somebody any suggestions? I am at the end at the moment. Switching to windows 10 also dont give 100% waranty it will work (according what I read on the forums)

Thanks a lot!

The video graphics driver was the fix for me.
    Running on windows 8.1.

Just dusted this computer off(got it back in 2014) to get started with 3D printing.

Found the resolution for this...

Under C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\cura\4.2

A file called cura.cfg   (Can open with notepad).  Set automatic update and send slice info both to = False. (As shown below)

[info]
    latest_update_version_shown = 4.8.0
    automatic_update_check = False
    send_slice_info = False

Because I had a new install of Cura and it would not load I just copied the cura.cfg file from my other computer in which it did load.  I even think that if you just create the cura.cfg in that same location and add the lines above including the [info] tag it will work for you...  It is a text file but needs to be saved with the file extension .cfg

Everything else I tried did not work.  Setting those two lines to false worked straight away.  I also noticed when checking the Cura logs that it was attempting to check for updates on load which is what made me look at those two lines...