Cura Wierdness

ShopGeezer

Posted · Cura Wierdness

So I upgraded to version 4.2.1 from 4.1.0 because I liked the way it sliced my models.  Version 4.1 did strange things to inner walls but 4.2 is much better at this.  However there are some weird things.  I added tabs to an electronics enclosure to receive the mounting screws from the lid.  This all looked good in the CAD program and showed up just fine in the Cura "Prepare" window. However the Preview window showed the tabs cut off from the wall.  They are not even attached to the wall.  I have tried several hours of different ways to create these tabs in CAD and different settings in Cura.  No difference for any of this, the tabs are always shown with a flat back and separate from the inner wall of the enclosure. Can't figure this out.  I have been having great success with Cura, it works exceptionally well, printing directly from my laptop. Can't figure out how to get these tabs attached.  The rest of the model slices perfectly. 

Cura weird 1.jpg

Cura weird 2.jpg

Posted · Cura Wierdness

In Preview, change the View type to X-Ray. I think you will see parts of the geoemtry highlighted in red. This means there is "internal geometry". I think you did not properly "boolean"/"union" the tabs to the housing. This throws off the slicer.

Posted · Cura Wierdness

You are right, X-ray shows the corners as red. I suspect that the problem is attachment of the tabs to the box. They don't want to become part of the model.  I tried a bunch of different ways to create the tabs. I finally got one to work by creating it in place as part of the wall, then copied it to the other 3 corners.  All looks good in Cura now.  I will see how it prints tomorrow. 

Interesting issue, I have Cura 4.2.1 on both my Mac desktop and my PC laptop. The Mac has an issue with the walls of the enclosure. I have 5 walls selected with no infill. I wanted a solid 2mm wall thickness so with a 0.4mm nozzle 5 walls fills the 2mm width. On the Mac the middle wall is empty in the Cura preview, as shown in the screen shot. On the PC all 5 walls are solid.  The PC version of Cura seems to do a much better job of slicing. I am using identical profiles on both computers.  

Enclosure 5.jpg

Enclosure 5 wall.jpg