SDHC card not supported in Ultimaker 2?

gadgetfreak

Posted · SDHC card not supported in Ultimaker 2?

We've had our Ultimaker 2 for a couple of weeks now and about 100 hours of run time. It's a really nice unit.

(My longest print job is still running, about 41 hours hours non-stop now...)

However, I have experienced strange things such as prints being stopped a while into the print and just hang. I think the OLED interface has also hung/crashed one or two times.

My suspicion is that this occurs only when using SDHC (4GB) cards that I recently bought (2GB SD cards are getting less and less available actually so it's sometimes hard to find them).

I recall from previous threads that Daid recommended against using SDHC cards and that we should stick to 2GB "old" SD cards only (formatted for FAT16 I presume).

However, in the recently released 1.0 Ultimaker 2 User Manual it only mentions "SD" cards and nothing explicitly that only standard 2GB or less SD card can be used. So it's not clear.

If indeed SDHC is not supported it would be nice if the firmware could catch this and display an error message instead of discovering this mid-print.

And also add it to the manual for clarity.

Who knows this for sure? I guess Daid does :)

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel

Could you tell me where to find 1.0 Ultimaker 2 User Manual? I didn't find it in the Wiki. Isn't that the place to put it?

Greetings,

Timo

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

I would love an answer to this question myself!

Namely, it is becoming a bit of a task to insert/remove SD cards constantly to print/tweak. I, myself, am looking for one of the Eye-Fi cards (for those who are not familiar, SD cards with wifi chipset on, so you can copy files to them while they are still in the printer).

This should save a lot of time as well as the possibility for wear/tear/damage to the SD card pins if we can lower the amount of inserts/removals.

I am new to U2 and love it so far, but i did find some inconsistencies with the user manual, notably the fact that it says to use only SD cards and no larger than 2GB.  My U2 shipped with an SDHC card of 4GB.  I need to buy some new cards and want to know if I buy SDHC @ 8GB will they work?