filinda

What is going on with new supports in Cura?

Posted · What is going on with new supports in Cura?

image.thumb.png.36690ed42e2d00fb258def1e7df8a4a3.png

Just look at this supports... Why so bad? Ender 3 profile, version 4.2.1. This benchy is unprintable. How could they release software even wihout testing the most popular model on the most popular printer?

I don't know but you should realize that Benchy is meant to test your printer and it is meant to be printed without any supports.

Cura is paid for by Ultimaker which sells printers but gives Cura away for free.  The Creality is a competitor of Ultimaker.  Creality should be testing Cura and customizing it for the Ender printer (with an Ender printer profile).  Testing should be done by Creality.  Not Ultimaker.

19 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I don't know but you should realize that Benchy is meant to test your printer and it is meant to be printed without any supports.

Cura is paid for by Ultimaker which sells printers but gives Cura away for free.  The Creality is a competitor of Ultimaker.  Creality should be testing Cura and customizing it for the Ender printer (with an Ender printer profile).  Testing should be done by Creality.  Not Ultimaker.

image.thumb.png.45f00d551645712b10c46b34ec00a2cd.png

Same with ultimaker printer. That is not about settings, in version 3.6.0 supports are ok.

I think this has to do with one of the support settings - for example:

X/Y overrides Z, if enabled would do just this

X/Y support distance, if too large might do this I think

Check your setting "support distance priority".

Maybe type "support" in that setting search box and take a screen shot of just the settings that appear.

36 minutes ago, gr5 said:

I think this has to do with one of the support settings - for example:

X/Y overrides Z, if enabled would do just this

X/Y support distance, if too large might do this I think

Check your setting "support distance priority".

Maybe type "support" in that setting search box and take a screen shot of just the settings that appear.

image.thumb.png.d9ea1f37b5cafacd1f35d67093cf97a5.png

image.thumb.png.aa2a785a7a7279f4a47fd2f626689b58.png

So I tried slicing benchy in 4.0 and got the same result as you.  I set "support X/Y distance" and also "minimum support X/Y distance" to zero and the support reached up to the top of those tiny shelves.

So it's not a bug - it's a feature.  It keeps the support from touching the hull of benchy  or the walls of the wheel house (which are not vertical - they tilt out a bit).

But really I would turn off support for benchy.  Benchy does not need any support.