CURA 4.2.1 vs 3.6 Print Time Discrepancies

Posted · CURA 4.2.1 vs 3.6 Print Time Discrepancies

I have been using CURA 3.6 since I bought an Ender 3 Pro printer early this year but recently upgraded to CURA 4.2.1

Apart from CURA 4.2.1 not including a profile for the Ender 3 Pro, which I have remedied, there is a wide difference between the print times for the same object between the two versions.

As an example one item I have previously printed sucessfully using the gcode produced by 3.6 and which took around 5 and a half hours is now supposedly going to take over 8 hours if I use the gcode output from 4.2.1    Before anyone asks the layer height, wall/top/bottom thicknesses, infill pattern and density, material, and printer head speed are the same in each case.

A second item which was an 11 hour task is supposedly going to take over 18 hours.

I can understand that two different slicers might go at things a little differently bit this is not a LITTLE different.

Anyone got any ideas on why, or whether I have missed something here?

Regards

• 3 months later...
    Posted · CURA 4.2.1 vs 3.6 Print Time Discrepancies

I experienced this exact same issue. After almost ripping my hair off I think I may have found it.

First try enabling the outer wall speed and inner wall speed and modify. 

Then you can also enable and increase the Top/Bottom Speed.

Lastly I found out that in CURA 3.6, if you set your own values for Top/Bottom Thickness the slicer will override the layer thickness you set in the beginning. I used to think I was printing at 0.2 mm layer height but in reality it was 0.302. Double check the total number of layers in CURA 3.6 and compare it to CURA 4.2.1.

Hope this helps!