"Best" Temperature Sensor for Ultimaker Original?

Posted · "Best" Temperature Sensor for Ultimaker Original?

I've got one of the early Ultimaker Originals (not plus). I have my suspicions that the temperature sensor may have room for improvement (most obviously, even set at 270C, it doesn't seem to melt ABS terribly well, and a probe held onto the block reads 250C).

My question is... what should I look to replace it with? I could buy another exactly the same from the resellers, but they're expensive: https://3dgbire.com/collections/spare-parts/products/thermocouple-sensor?variant=1079466129 (and maybe no better than what I already have?). However, I'm happy to fiddle with firmware and whatnot, so can I do any better?

On my UMO I have built this temperature mesurement system:

https://e3d-online.com/v6-pt100-upgrade-kit

It works great! You juste have to exchange 2 wires because the outpout of the amplifier board isn't in the same order as the input on the ultimanboard. On the left the Pt100 board, signal wire is in the middle, on the right the Ultimaker board 1.5.7, the signal wire is in the middle. 

image.thumb.png.d71fcbead367b8b5d7ce6a67cbba7563.png

After that you go to:

https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/

This is to build the new firmware, you muste chose "temperature sensor like Ultmaker 2"

Hope this will help you!

• Thanks 1

You make a good point - "security of supply" is probably as important as anything else. Parts and information about the early UMOs are getting harder and harder to google.