Problem Slicing Pillars

mg180

Posted (edited) · Problem Slicing Pillars

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having slicing models with thin pillars/towers.

Below is an example where I have a model that has four small pillars (to support a RPi camera).

pillar1.thumb.png.ce5400303e224d68d99a40e990245b25.png

When I switch to layer view is shows the lower pillar with no infill inside (infill is only at 20%).pillar2.thumb.png.bdbf467cbd1d3476aee9a348d0699397.png 

One layer up then shows it try to print the upper thinner pillar completely inside the empty circular space of the lower pillar.

pillar3.png.cbd4063866a2b2ade867e13b5c2a20c0.png

As you can see there is nothing underneath to print over the top of and bond to. This means that either the print fails, or the thin pillar will fall off as soon as I do so much as breathe on it.

The only way I can see of fixing this would be to increase infill to 99% to guarantee there is some infill for it to bond to, but this is obviously impractical.

Is there something I'm missing here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

pillar2.png

Edited by mg180