does not connect with ender3 and skr mini e3 board

Posted · does not connect with ender3 and skr mini e3 board

good, well I just put a skr mini e3 board to my ender3 and when I open a cure the printer is blocked, something that does not happen to me with pronterface or with simplify, I would like to know if it has happened to you and how you have done it solved

Greetings

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · does not connect with ender3 and skr mini e3 board

Hello,

I also have a Creality Ender 3.

With Cura v4.3.0 my new BIGTREETECH SKR mini E3 v1.2 card does not work.

A sound like siren, frozen screen and button that does not work anymore.

The same symptoms as in these videos here:

https://imgur.com/a/UU6Q9rb

I found these two solutions:

1) That given by Tjaart Bester in the comments of this video:

2) That given by martinways here:

https://3dtoday.ru/questions/skr-mini-e3-v12-zavisaet-pri-podklyuchenii-cura

Thank you to these two people.

Quite simply, you have to comment lines of the file AutoDetectBaudJob.py which is in the directory:

c : \ Program Files \ Ultimaker Cura 4.3 \ plugins \ USBPrinting \

Solution 1:

Line 33 # try:
    Line 34 # programmer.connect (self._serial_port)
    Line 35 # serial = programmer.leaveISP ()
    Line 36 # except ispBase.IspError:
    Line 37 # program.close ()

Solution 2:

Line 31 # program = Stk500v2 ()
    Line 32 serial = None
    Line 33 # try:
    Line 34 # programmer.connect (self._serial_port)
    Line 35 # serial = programmer.leaveISP ()
    Line 36 # except ispBase.IspError:
    Line 37 # program.close ()

These two solutions work, I can now use Cura v4.3.0 with the SKR mini E3 v1.2 card.

I hope this can help several makers.

Edited by Vector777

• 8 months later...

With the latest Cura (4.6.2 at the time of writing this), this is still a problem. I'd even say a serious one.
    I left my Ender 3 powered on with the USB attached and didn't think much of it. While remote-controlling my computer from elsewhere, I started up Cura and did what I usually do when starting up a print by remote. But I saw that the printer wasn't responding any longer. Gave up at that moment.
    Coming back home after a few hours, I noticed a weird siren-like noise from my hobby-room. Went in to check it and found the Ender 3 in a hanged state, emitting that noise from the stepper motor. I turned the printer off and back on again. Only to see it never booting up again. Long story short: The board was destroyed as it was extremely hot to the touch.

I had to buy a new mainboard for the printer. After some investigation I found the culprit being Cura.

Every time the USB is hooked up to the computer while Cura is loaded, the board hard-hangs and the stepper motors start emitting that weird siren-noise. If Cura isn't loaded, the USB connection works as intended. Other programs can use the USB connection just fine. It is only Cura that causes this destructive hard-hang.

This is with the BigTreeTech SKR mini e3 v2.0 board.

My warning to all BTT SKR board owners: Do *not* use Cura with USB hooked up. It *will* destroy the mainboard if left in that state for a long period.

EDIT:
    !!!!WARNING!!!!
    Your printer will catch fire!
    I just tested triggering this bug during a print. The board hard-hangs so badly, all watchdogs and runaway protections are disabled. Heaters that are on when this hang triggers, will remain permanently on until something gives or burns. It didn't take long for the bed or the nozzle to go way out of the safe range. So once again, a big warning:

!!!THIS WILL CAUSE THE PRINTER TO CATCH FIRE IF LEFT IN THIS STATE!!!

Edited by SysGhost
    Serious warnings added

Some thoughts...

The standard Creality board uses an 8 bit Arduino clone processor with the stk500v2 bootloader.

The SKR Mini E3 uses a 32bit ARM Cortex-M3 processor with (it appears) a proprietary bootloader.

The BigTreeTech site and the SKR Mini E3 documentation state that the SKR Mini E3 is compatible with Cura.

I have not come across anything that purports the reverse - that Cura is compatible with SKR Mini E3.

There appears to be evidence (from this forum and from other forums) that the BigTreeTech compatibility statement is not true.

I don't understand how or why Ultimaker should be responsible for, or try to support, a third party statement, hardware, firmware, or software.  It seems to me that the problem rests with BigTreeTech.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Some thoughts...

The standard Creality board uses an 8 bit Arduino clone processor with the stk500v2 bootloader.

The SKR Mini E3 uses a 32bit ARM Cortex-M3 processor with (it appears) a proprietary bootloader.

The BigTreeTech site and the SKR Mini E3 documentation state that the SKR Mini E3 is compatible with Cura.

I have not come across anything that purports the reverse - that Cura is compatible with SKR Mini E3.

There appears to be evidence (from this forum and from other forums) that the BigTreeTech compatibility statement is not true.

I don't understand how or why Ultimaker should be responsible for, or try to support, a third party statement, hardware, firmware, or software.  It seems to me that the problem rests with BigTreeTech.

I agree. This is after all a third party printer with yet another party board in it installed by the end user. Even Creality can't support such a modification. It is obviously such a thing can't be supported here. I only intended the previous comment to be a warning to those who have this modification on their printers.

I've already contacted BigTreeTech about this. (I actually did that just moments after creating the post above). They have confirmed receiving my message, but haven't responded about the issue yet. Still waiting on that. I'll report back when they do.

Edited by SysGhost

im having the same issue with my new skr mini e3 v2. but i cant even get it to connect to cura 4.7 or 4.8. the above posts are troublesome. i believe i will try a different slicer or something.

I did the solution one and the problem is over thank you for helping me Vector777.

As I mention TMC connection problem is not hardware problem it is software problem.