Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
mark-hale

Print causes nozzle block

I have just created a file with solidworks which loads fine in cura but when I go to print it on my Ultimaker2, pretty close to the start of the print a large blob of PLA gets placed on the bed and then blocks the head.

What is the best way to diagnose the issue, assume I need to look at the code.

Sorry totally new to this so venturing into uncharted waters

Generally speaking, Repetier Host is a pretty good tool for visualizing gcode, but I don't think it really understands the new type of gcode that Cura generates for UM2's now. Particularly the convention of giving extrusion amounts in mm³, not mm of feed.

If you'd like to post the gcode somewhere, or http://mailto:gcode@fbrc8.com, I'd be happy to take a look.

As I just explained in my email back to Mark, for some reason there's a weird segment in the skirt, where the gcode suddenly blobs out an extra 200mm³ in one spot (remember: this is UM2, so E coords are mm³, not mm of filament), and then carries on as if nothing had happened:

226: A Cura Oddity?

I tried slicing his STL in 13.10 and couldn't reproduce it. So either, it's something about his version/settings that i didn't hit, or the file got corrupted somehow, I guess. Can't say I've ever seen this before.

Many thanks for your help on this. For info, I tried removing CURA and then re installed it. Now when I look at that line, it is normal. Looks like I may have had a problem with the initial install of CURA.

Had not altered settings since I installed the software and the only thing I can think of is I had a previous older version installed although notice that was installed in a different directory.

Very odd, especially as this was the first file I have had a problem with. Gremlins I guess

Good thing is im learning quite a bit now, first time I have looked at the code. Still very much a dark art at the moment but its a start :)

Thanks again illuminarti