HELP!! Solid form sliced into lines!!

vimmo

Posted · HELP!! Solid form sliced into lines!!

I am new to CURA and 3D printting, and there's a problem I encountered while I attempted to slice my form.

I created this solid form in Sketch up and transported as a STL to CURA.

As you see in one of the two uploaded photos, the imported form is a terrain model, which is transformed in Sketch Up into stacked layers of solids (through Sketch- Up's Plug -In "Slicer"). 

It appears first all normal when just imported into Cura, however, once it is sliced in Cura, the upper layers have all become hollow lines, rather than solid, filled entities.

When I print this sliced data out on my 3D Printer(with clay as material), the result is also a mess, with only the bottom three layers orderly printed and filled, but the upper layers turn our to be merely a bunch of messy lines.

What could be a possible cause of such a phenomenon?? Is it a problem with my original model file, or the setting in Cura?

Thank you so much for your advice!😘

after.png

before.png

21 minutes ago, vimmo said:

I created this solid form in Sketch up

Sketchup is not the best software to create model for 3D printing. It is known that the software creates damaged or not watertight models. 

If you cannot switch to another software you can just try if you can repair the STL file in 3DBuilder or via the netfab online service.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Sketchup is not the best software to create model for 3D printing. It is known that the software creates damaged or not watertight models. 

If you cannot switch to another software you can just try if you can repair the STL file in 3DBuilder or via the netfab online service.

Thank you so much for your prompt answer!! Really helpful!

I will try all the suggested solutions!

You are welcome!

If possible try some other CAD applications, like Fusion360 or TinkerCad, both are free and you will get better results.