No communication when power is turned on

mentat101

Posted · No communication when power is turned on

Hello all,

This is my first time posting since building my machine a month ago. I had a couple of minor issues with the build, but they should not impact the problems this post addresses. When I was attempting my first print with Netfabb Engine for Ultimaker and the stock firmware (5D), communication was established (manual worked fine, even the extrusion), I generated a toolpath, preheated the head, then started the print. It would subsequently lock up and disconnect after a minute. When I would reconnect, it would say the build was ended. Because this persisted no matter how preheated it was, I gave up and I tried generating a gcode with Netfabb and printing it with ReplicatorG 23. This program would also connect and the manual control would work (except for the extruder). This program would start the print. If I had a raft generated, it would output a decent amount of plastic for the raft, but would basically stop extruding when the print began. I checked to make sure there were no jams a couple of times and the bolt was not slipping; maybe a jam once, otherwise no problems. I tried fiddling with the potentiometer on the extruder driver, being careful not to turn it more than halfway; no results other than a slightly hotter extruder motor. I then tried swapping two of the drivers; no difference. Ruling out a driver problem, I tried ReplicatorG 26. This drove the extruder properly with manual controls, but the same issues persisted during the print. I put it away for a week while I pondered the issues.

When I got it back out, I took a close look at the electronics to make sure there were no cold solder joints or shorts or anything, put it back on the frame, plugged in the power and turned it on, then plugged in the USB... but the LED on the head did not light up. I tried different USB cables first, then unplugged everything from the board, then tried the USB with the power to the board off, etc. Nothing seemed to work. The Arduino did not seem to be turning on. I took the boards loose to look at them again, then put them back and replugged everything. Something must have changed, because the LED on the head lit up.

I now have communication with the Arduino board, but only until I turn on the main power to the Ultimaker board. When I do, RepG locks up and does not seem to receive any information. It will not connect, for any reason, with any software I use(I have to shut down RepG's process and restart it), until I turn off the power and remove and replace the USB cable. If I try to do so without removing and replacing the USB and while keeping the motors on, it will engage the motors for a second (the print head cannot be moved manually), then disengage (the head can be moved easily).

This happens no matter which software I use; even Netfabb cannot connect until I unplug and replug the USB, and only when the main power is off. When I do, I can connect, tell it to perform operations (it can't because it doesn't have main power) and install different firmwares (I have tried this; it does not seem to make any difference). In order to determine if it was following any instructions, I gave it the command to heat up, then turned the main power on. It lost communication, but it did heat up. It also loses communication regardless if the drivers are plugged in or not. I haven't tried disconnecting everything yet.

Please help! I didn't mean to write a book, but this has been very frustrating and I wanted to include all I could in case it was relevant. Speaking of which, the error returned in RepG when it cannot connect to the Arduino after I turn on main power is thus:

[22] Connecting to machine using serial port: COM3

[22] Initializing Serial.

[22] Attempting to reset RepRap/Ultimaker (pulsing RTS) (it engages the motors for a second)

[22] Supports RC

[22] RepRap/Ultimaker not responding to RTS reset. Trying again..

[22] Attempting to reset RepRap/Ultimaker (pulsing RTS) (again)

[22] RepRap/Ultimaker not responding to RTS reset. Failed to connect.

[22] Supports RC

Is this a serious error in the printed circuit board wiring, a baud rate issue showing up in weird ways, or did I just receive a bad Arduino? Even the reset button on the Arduino does not allow a program to resume or initiate communication, but unplugging and replugging the USB does.

I've seen the same problems when trying to print from my Vista laptop, and when printing trough a USB-HUB. It also worked at the start, but later didn't work anymore, no amount of rebooting/power down seemed to help. RepG also reported nothing more then you listed here.

Then I moved to my WinXP machine and the problems where gone.

I had the same errors when i built my machine last week, what i found is if you are using Rep26 and you install

a new firware but NOT via Rep26 you get these errors. But if you update the firmware via Rep26 (there is a marlin

build in there) then the machine will connect fine.

I have now got Printrun working, so i plan on trying Daid's "Build-my-marlin" firmware which i understand does not

work with Rep26, but works fine with print run.

I have now got Printrun working, so i plan on trying Daid's "Build-my-marlin" firmware which i understand does not

I have not tried this myself. But the "build-me-marlin" firmware might work with RepG26 if you change the baudrate to 57600 and disable software endstops. The marlin inside RepG26 is quite a bit older then the "build-me-marlin". But both work a lot better then the default 5D firmware.

I have not tried this myself. But the "build-me-marlin" firmware might work with RepG26 if you change the baudrate to 57600 and disable software endstops. The marlin inside RepG26 is quite a bit older then the "build-me-marlin". But both work a lot better then the default 5D firmware.

Hi

I use it with RepG26 at 115200 with software endstops enabled.

Thanks for the replies!

I tried loading in different firmwares that were included with Rep26, since that was the simpler idea to try, but there was no change. Communication stops as soon as I turn on main power. Netfabb and even Sendg don't connect with power on.

I'm currently using Windows 7, but I have an old netbook with XP that should suffice to test that idea tomorrow.

Perhaps my Windows driver is messed up somehow. How many bits per baud is the connection? Is there some benefit to increasing the bits per second of the virtual COM3 port in Windows? Does RepG26's Marlin firmware like a baud of 57600? Also, last but not least, I downloaded the Arduino software and had Windows search and install the driver for the UART from that download. Before that, my machine did not recognize the Arduino. However, I did not search to be sure it was the newest driver. Could that be a problem?

Thanks again!

The arduino driver is also included in the ReplicatorG package. But the "driver" is a very simple file that says "generic USB Serial device with ID xxxx". There is only a single version of it, nothing that can go wrong on the driver.

But you might have problems if your machine has more internal USB hubs connected to each other. Try the laptop to see if it makes a difference.

Iam having the same issue. At first there was no connection at all, RTS code. Then all of a sudden a Com 6 shows up under Serial Ports so I tried that. It connected, clicked on Control Panel and the software just locked up. It showed 'lost serial port' at the command line. Rebooted everything and same thing, turned the Power Switch on and it locked up everything again but now I can see a red led #10 flashing on the board, no idea what that means. Rebooted again and now nothing comming out of the USB port, no light on top, no green led on the board. Iam using a HP laptop w/XP Pro but it has 3 USB ports and all are full. Thinking about getting a dedicated computer just for the printer, no other software, no nothing. Seems my computer can't handel all the usb ports being used at the same time.

A red led flashing? That's the "Heater On" led... odd. Maybe if flashes when the board resets.

But no green light on the Arduino board, and no blue light on top indicates an "USB Power problem", if the board draws to much current from the USB port it shuts itself off. You could try to add a powered HUB to see if that helps (make sure it's a powered USB hub, one with a separate supply)

But you could also have an short-circuit on the main board which causes the power to go "out".

A red led flashing? That's the "Heater On" led... odd. Maybe if flashes when the board resets.

But no green light on the Arduino board, and no blue light on top indicates an "USB Power problem", if the board draws to much current from the USB port it shuts itself off. You could try to add a powered HUB to see if that helps (make sure it's a powered USB hub, one with a separate supply)

But you could also have an short-circuit on the main board which causes the power to go "out".

I've come to the conclusion it's a board problem. Here's why: X motor moves Great..!! nice and smooth, either direction. Y won't move at all. Changed out Drivers, same thing. Reversed the two J connectors. Y direction moved when I Jog X 10mm, works great. X didn't move at all. No motor noise. nothing. None of the Limit switches work. I Jogged X 50mm and toggled all 4 limit switches, (to make sure the wires weren't reversed) and nothing stopped the motor. Definetly think thats a board problem. All four switches can't be bad. The Z motor won't move at all. It makes a high pitched noise from inside the motor. I removed the Large Screw & coupling to observe the motor with a Jog of 100mm and nothing. Didn't turn at all, just made a bunch of noise. Checked all the wiring, pushed in here and there while running everything and no change. I can't think of anything else to try except ask for another board and maybe a Z motor.