Polybox vs Printdry

BiMNrd

Posted · Polybox vs Printdry

Sorry I did not know where else to post this question:

being a printdry owner, I just got a Polybox because of its smaller form factor.  Naturally from what I understand the printdry is a dehumidifier and it plugs into the wall etc. The Polybox on the other hand just run out of a small cell battery (that is supposed to last for 3 months), it is filled with two large desiccant bags and it is supposed to keep my filament dry while printing and storage.  

I gather that the printdry is heating up the air inside its chamber and heating up the filament so that it releases and absorbs moisture. How does the Polybox work or what does it attempt to do in contrast? 

Thank you

The Polybox is just a place to keep your spool dry during printing. It doesn't dry the spool, just keep the air dry inside. So it only works if your spools are already in good condition. The cell battery is only for the small hygrometer to give an indication when you need to refresh the desiccant bags.

The Printdry is nothing else then a cheap food dehydrator which can actually dry a wet spool.

You can dry the bag in an oven or with the Printdry, should work there as well, but more heat about 100°C is better I think.

I use also both, the food dehydrator to dry my spools and the Polybox for printing. I am not sure if the Polybox is really so airtight that you can store sensitive filaments for a longer time there, personally I store the spools in Lock & Lock boxes and use the Polybox only during printing.

• Like 1

A few days are not a problem, but I use PVA for example only every few weeks, so I am safer to store it in a really airtight box. 

But you are right, I am sure the box works also for weeks. 

we shall see. currently it is showing 10% humidity since yesterday afternoon. whereas the outside is at 55%.

so it appears to be working.