UMS5 Flow sensor issues (UM Tough PLA)

aag

Posted · UMS5 Flow sensor issues (UM Tough PLA)

I had a ToughPLA filament stuck in Printhead #1 of my S5, and could only take it out by removing the Bowden from the extruder. I then cleaned the extruder knurled wheel, since I was at it already. After reassembly, I am getting "Material out" errors (note: on the ToughPLA extruder, not the PVA extruder) every 5 minutes. But there is nothing wrong with the material, and in fact I am getting good prints by disabling the flow sensor.

I conclude that I may have somehow screwed up the flow sensor while cleaning the extruder. But what could the issue be? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

If you have taken the feeder apart make sure the head of the adjustment screw is down inside the casing, it has a habit of popping out and up what then has taken tension of the filament what might make the printer think its not getting the right flow so it then thinks you got a part blockage or something thats limiting the flow, what it will be doing as it might be slipping with the tension being off. If its inside in the right place make sure you have not knocked the adjustment out, the arm should line up in the center of the slot, sometimes you need to adjust it a little so it grips bit more tight.

Thanks. Indeed the tensor had immediately popped out but I repositioned it, I think correctly. What I notice, is that the release lever is now a bit harder to operate than before. The tension gauge is at around half. Could it be that it's now too tense?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

To answer the question: 

Half way on the tension indicator is the typical setting. It should be fine there for Tough PLA. 

One thing that has not been mentioned is to do a series of hot / cold pulls on the extruder to make sure it is good and clean. As "stuff" builds up in the extruder, the back force on the feed gear builds up. At some point it grinds the filament rather than moving it forward. ( = look for grind marks when the failure occurs ...).

Bob