Printing with PVC

Framar

Posted · Printing with PVC

Hello Ultimaker community, 

Recently I tried printing with PVC filament from Filamentum (that is the only supplier I've found) and since I haven't found a lot of information on that matter I decide to share with you my first results.

I print on glass with a thin layer of 3Dlac. PVC sticked perfetly on the print bed and I had to use a spatula to remove it. 

Brint bed was set at 80°C

Printing temperature was ser at 215°C

I've noticed some warpage on supported area and layer adhesion is poor. I'll probably have to change some settings to improve this.

I've tried PVA support but as seen in the pictures there is no adhesion with PVC.

Also, i was concern by the PVC degrading while printing but during the print the smell was barely noticeable and when I cleaned the print core after my last print it was nice and clean (no carbon buildups, no clogged).

Here are some pictures.

IMG_20200131_150633361-Texte.thumb.jpg.a7e6ecc8a26bed3aa01d1c6ef6196dc5.jpgIMG_20200131_163846970.thumb.jpg.f5632dd4f50380b58798a0538298e785.jpg

IMG_20200131_150512177.thumb.jpg.5921252ef845500b5211fbf01d4e9f65.jpg

For PET, I get good layer adhesion by printing much slower and cooler, and *without fan*. But then the bridging and overhangs suffer (but most of my models need no bridging and no overhangs).

The "printing cooler" is to prevent the filament from burning and decomposing in the nozzle, due to the much longer transit times.

I don't know if this would also work for PVC?

Anyway, watch out for chlorine gasses, if it would decompose. Should be easy to smell, like in a swimming pool where they overdid it.

I forgot to mention.

You need to purge the print core at the end of each print to avoid carbon buildups. Purge material is the preferred choice otherwise use regular PLA or any material that don't required exceeding 200-205°C.