Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
chipS

How to setup CURA for Modix machine

Posted · How to setup CURA for Modix machine

For Modix big 60 machine, what is the proper way to setup CURA. Thanks a lot for your input!

The Modix is an interesting machine.  Still relatively rare so you might be a bit of a pioneer.  Can you provide a bit of info as to where (generally) you're located, what print nozzle size(s) you are working with, filament type, etc?

Cheers

J

Hi J:

I  locate in Connecticut USA. I am using 0.4 mm nozzle. Most of the time,  I use 1.75 mm PLA.  It is a 600  X 600 X 600 mm  printing zoom machine. Cura does not list this machine as one of pre-setup one. I like Cura than any other 3D slice application. Hopefully I can use it. Thanks!

Chip

Howdy chipS,

We're in Columbus, OH and just finished our Modix 120X V3 build a few weeks ago (1200x 600 x 600).  We've had had a few issues with setup and layer shifting, for which Modix is sending updated components, so time will tell on how well it performs.  I believe JohnInOttawa is right that we are on the pioneering end of things, since there is very little info out there on our machines.

You should have received an email from Modix (i.e. sales@modix3d.com) the a user name and login to a customer support page, which is where the step-by-step assembly instructions were located.

On that page, there should be a CURA profile download.  If you have any trouble finding it, let me know which version (V2 or V3) you have and I'll send the file.

-DavidB

I have had a Modix Big 120X for almost a year and a half now.  I will tell you it is awesome.  I have printed giant prints (like 4 foot long) with NylonX, PLA and ABS.  I found this site as I am having some issues with PETG and am hoping the Cura slicer helps.  While I am looking for the settings as well, I saw TwoFiftySWB's comment and wanted to weigh in on your components.

Immediately upgrade the bearings in your rail cartridges to ceramic bearings.  I had shifting problems as well and it took forever to finally diagnose the issue.  It is real easy to do.

Hi all,

I also bought a Modix Big60 v2, in november 2019. I'm situated in Belgium.

I just didn't get around to build it up till about 3 weeks ago 🤦‍♂️

@chucktaggart; Are you saying you took out the individual bearing balls from the cartridges and put new ceramic ones in there??

Can you provide some info on how you did and where you bought those replacement parts?

I'm trying to understand how those steel bearing balls would be so poorly sized that they would allow so much motion that you'd have side shifting from that?

I personally also don't like the method of belt tensioning they chose. Especially for the front+back X-axes.

Loosening the bracket and having those brackets "float" from the 40x40 profile to facilitate the right tension?? 😕

I think I should try to create (or find) some kind of sleigh tensioned by a screw and/or some heavy spring or something..

Did you guys change anything there?

Hope to hear from you chucktaggart, thanks in advance! 🙂