Export file formats

mcrompton

Posted · Export file formats

I am hoping to use Cura with my students to facilitate file prep for multiple FDM/FFF printers including a Makerbot Rep2, a Raise N2 Plus and our newest printer, a Cubicon Style Plus.  My problem is with the printer profile for the Cubicon in Cura.  While there is a profile and the settings seem to be good, I can't export the file to the hvs format that the printer requires.  I've tried loading the g-code file (which the printer doesn't see) and changing the file extension of the gcode file to .hvs (which the printer also doesn't see).  Has anyone solved this problem?  If so how?  Ideally, since inexperienced students will be using this printer, I would like a solution that is built into the printer profile so they can simply export the file directly from Cura (as opposed to modifying post-export).

Thank you in advance for any help.

Interesting, wasn't aware of this format. We don't have one of these printers to test so it's difficult to support this printer, especially if they decided to use a proprietary file format.

If the profile contributor wants to add support to Cura for their profile, then you can get in contact with them for this.

It was contributed by this person it seems: https://github.com/HUNIBEST-HyVISION

Just a hunch for a workaround: what happens if you zip the output gcode and change the zip extension to .hvs?

Our .ufp format works in a similar way. It could be that there's some extra printer-specific metadata in their format.

Hope this helps

Thanks, Maht and ahoeben for your replies!  I’m out of town and away from my working computer at the moment.  WHen I get home, I’ll generate a working .hvs and post it here.

Thanks again,

Marc

Hi maht and ahoeben.  I'm back at my computer and am including a link to a working .hvs file.  Any help in this direction is appreciated.  I will also explore your github as suggested, maht.  

Here's a benchy that works on our machine.

Thanks!

Marc

The file you posted looks like a normal gcode file to me. The only thing that makes it a little special is the very first line of the file. Could you try the following:

* slice a file with Cura

* save it as a .gcode file

* rename it to .hvs (make sure it does not become .hvs.gcode!)

* open the file in a text editor (eg notepad)

* as the very first line, insert the following:

M911 3DP-310F

* save the file and try to print it

Thank you SO much for helping with this, ahoeben.  I did get it to work once I'd realized that Mac OS was hiding the additional extensions.  It would be so nice if the actual Cura profile could save directly in .hvs.  I feel like that would be an easy edit to make to the code of the existing profile, but I've not worked with these profiles before and wouldn't know where to start.

Writing .hvs instead of .gcode is not something that can be done in a Cura profile. It can be done with a plugin, but writing plugins isn't for everybody; there's no guide or tutorial to follow for this exact usecase.

Good to hear progress has been made. @mcrompton, if a plugin for this is something you'd like to explore, there's relevant documentation here.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:05 PM, mcrompton said:

Thank you SO much for helping with this, ahoeben.  I did get it to work once I'd realized that Mac OS was hiding the additional extensions.  It would be so nice if the actual Cura profile could save directly in .hvs.  I feel like that would be an easy edit to make to the code of the existing profile, but I've not worked with these profiles before and wouldn't know where to start.

Hi could you give me some assistance getting Cura to work with my Cubicon single. Cura already has the first line in the code and I have altered the file type to .HVS but the machine doesn't see the file.

If anyone knows a work around to output a gcode file that has an extension of .hvs for Cubicon Style 3D printer I would appreciate it! Thank you!